Searching in ABD

KevinSoars

I am not sure where to put this question, so please forgive me if this is not the correct place! I have just been reading Helen's topic on The Anchor Bible Dictionary and my eye caught, "Fascinating new articles discussing the growing reappraisal of early Christianity's relationship to Judaism (Was Christianity an "offspring" or "sibling" of rabbinic Judaism?)". Please would somebody kindly show me how I find this article?

Thank you,

Kevin

I am not sure where to put this question, so please forgive me if this is not the correct place! I have just been reading Helen's topic on The Anchor Bible Dictionary and my eye caught, "Fascinating new articles discussing the growing reappraisal of early Christianity's relationship to Judaism (Was Christianity an "offspring" or "sibling" of rabbinic Judaism?)". Please would somebody kindly show me how I find this article?

Hi Kevin,

Anchor was published in 1992 by Doubleday, and the new release under the Yale imprint does not represent (as far as I am aware) any revision of the contents. I suspect the content in question would be scattered in articles relating to the dead sea scrolls, messianism, Judaism, intertestamental literature, etc., and not in any one article.

Thus I would search the Entry and English Content fields of Anchor for related keywords and scroll through the resulting hits using the "Mk" (mark) up and down arrows at the bottom of the search window.

On a related note, one volume I read years ago that addresses this very topic in a very readable manner is Alan F. Segal's 1986 Rebecca's Children: Judaism and Christianity in the Roman World. I imagine a quick search through his bibliography as well as online bibliographic databases (e.g., http://bookreviews.org/, ATLA, and JSTOR [the latter two require subscriptions, often available through schools]) would turn up other helpful resources.

Hope that helps!

Archived