Highlighting on User Tools

Jason_H

I am currently working on Accordance 9, and I don't know if more functionality for User Tools was added in Accordance 10, but I wonder if anyone else has requested the ability to highlight User Tool files. I am taking classes that require me to study Greek texts that aren't available as modules, but are in the public domain (this term it is Plato's Phaedrus). I can copy sections from online sources into a User Tool and divide the text into sections, but what I'd love to be able to do is use my Greek highlighting system that I use in Biblical text modules instead of having to open an edit window and change font color. Additionally, I create a second User Tool for my translation and notes, and I wonder if there is any way to set up the headings so that the sections are linked for scrolling. Maybe I'm the only one looking for this functionality, but it sure would be nice to be able to develop my own texts over the course of my study.

Thank you!

The User Notes feature is intended for your translation and/or notes, as each entry is automatically linked to the Bible text (any version).

Jason — When I have a User Tool open and am in the process of modifying it (adding to or editing), I always keep the edit window open. On a Mac, it's so easy to switch between windows in a single application, or between applications, for that matter. Colors, fonts, etc., are readily available in the edit window. You can quickly save as you go with the keyboard shortcut, ⌘S.

You can open your text and your notes/translation in two zones in a single Workspace, save it under a descriptive name, and then add the new Workspace to your Favorites (Menu Bar > Window > Add To Favorites). That way getting up and running during your study time is stream-lined.

If you're working on a laptop, the three finger swipes for App Expose and Mission Control are great time savers. I became so addicted to those awhile back that I bought a Magic Trackpad to use when my Air is connected to an external monitor. I find it much easier on my hands as well.

Tying the two just isn't possible at this point and I have no idea how much demand there is for such a function. I suspect that the folks at Accordance are swamped right now as they prepare to roll out Accordance-PC while also working on a bunch of new resources for us. There just may not be the man-hours available for more right now.

I think what is high priority for many users is the ability to add User Notes files to Tools and have them tied to the Tool. How many of us have learned to love that feature in Kindle books? Back when we had nothing but hard copies, most of us were making notes in margins when we read. We want the equivalent functionality with e-texts. I think that one may be coming fairly soon.

• Like 1