easier way to report module errors

Ken Han

Accordance is indeed a powerful software, but it is obviously only as good as the quality of the modules it works on. While I find most modules to be of very high quality, it's not hard to find errors, some slight, such as formatting, and others serious such as hypertexts that link to wrong biblical passages, etc. This would obviously result in missing hits or false positives in searches.

I'd like to see an easier way of reporting module errors. As it is, I don't know how else to do it than to copy-paste the problem sections into an e-mail message, with manual description of the error and its location. This however gets very tiresome if there are more than a few errors to report. And writing as one who has reported a number of module errors before, sometimes the volume and the hassle of filing a report has kept me from reporting them.

How about an ability to highlight any arbitrary portion of the module, and perhaps a context-sensitive option to fill out a quick description of the error and proposed correction, and send it off directly to Accordance with location information automatically attached?

Just writing this feature request sounds like it will be a lot of work. But I think this is the kind of thing that will continue to pay dividends in the future.

Perhaps you could create a highlight file and highlight each error you spot. You could use different colors, etc. for each type of error. Then, whenever you like, you can simply email the .hlt file (in Finder in Users/(Username)/Documents/Accordance Files/Highlights/) to Accordance and they'll be able to open it and see what you've found.

I've actually been doing something similar. But sending in the .hlt, while makes it easy to locate the errors, does not make it possible to attach comments / description of non-obvious errors. Hence my OP.

We are already addressing this issue for an upgrade we plan to release quite soon.

We do value all corrections, file them, and act on them when we update the modules. We want the cleanest texts for our modules, but what we get from the sources is often far from that. We clean up as much as we can, but we cannot proof every word, so we are thankful for our users' input.

That's great Helen! It's things this that makes me glad to be an Accordance user!

I've written a small AppleScript that functions within the service menu item. It's not an Accordance supported solution, but I use it myself for sending in errors and typos. If you would be interested in installing this script for submission of typos, please let me know. I can email it to you with directions for installation.

The general workflow of the script is to highlight the suspected typo, click Accordance, then Services. When installed the option, "Report Typo", will appear. The script will take the selection, open Mail, generate an email with the appropriate Mailto, subject, and paste in the Accordance Selection, and then send it off to corrections@accordacebible.com.

Again, let me know if you are interested. Moreover, it's not an official Accordance fix, just a temporary work around.

Archived