multiple versions in one pane

tlw5560

:blink: I like the new features of 7.2 (i.e. the ones I use). However, I am still lobbying for the ability to compare verses in a single pane as opposed to parallel panes. My ideal desktop would have one pane that features my "preaching" version and another pane that features GNT, WTT, LXX and other versions. It would be great if when I clicked on a verse in "context pane" that it would show up in the "multiple version" pane. I believe this would reduce the clutter on my desktop and would allow me to view Accordance, Word for Mac & Keynote simultaneously without too much clicking around.

If anyone else thinks this would be handy please chime in!

"Good things come to those who whine long enough"

Apparently, I'm the "lone wolf" on this proposal--Is there any way I could produce such a pane via User Tools?

I don't understand what you're describing. Is it your request that you want panes to be horizontal instead of verticle?

Thanks for the response--Basically the feature I am trying to describe is the basic Bible Works desktop. Whereas Accordance's desktop is based on versions being compared side by side in context, BW allows you to compare individual verses in multiple versions in the same "window". What is annoying with BW is that you have to toggle back and forth between the "verse" window and the verse in context. This single window/pane approach allows you to compare versions/GNT/WTT/LXX without consuming too much desktop. On the other hand, there are times when I to compare versions in context and that is where Accordance is excellent. What I am seeking is the best of both worlds--the ability to have a base version in one window/pane where you can read the passage in context and another window/pane where you can compare multiple versions one verse at a time. So when you click on a verse in the "base version" (contextual pane), in the other pane you would see that particular verse in multiple versions. I hope this makes sense. I have a G5 mac and have to run BW on Virtual PC--Which is pretty clunky. Accordance runs like a dream and is easier to use, but when I open three versions, and say the GNT, it fills up the screen. I wear tri-focals so I have a hard time focusing when there is too much clutter on the desktop.

Thank you for explaining what you want. There is an easy solution available in Accordance right now. I suggest you keep just a single pane in your Search window, but customize a Text window the way you want it, and it will approximate the way you work in Bible Works.

To do this: click anywhere in a verse in the Search window and click the Context button on the Resource palette (or press command-5). The Text window that opens can be a tab in the same workspace or detached to its own window, up to you. Now unclick the Show all text checkbox in the top left, and add as many Bible panes as you want. When the top row is filled, further panes will appear in a second row. Depending on the size of your screen you can get about 12 panes, all showing the same verse in different translations or versions.

Be sure to save the window or the session so that you can reuse it as needed. As long as the window is open and the recycling icon is on, the window will update to the new verse whenever you click Context or command-5 from anywhere in a verse.

A little more help please. When I click on a verse in the search window it will not synch/link with the versions open in the text window when the "show all text" button is clear. Instead it opens another tab in the search window. Is there a way to link the search and text windows when the "show all text" button is clear?

Also, is there a way to highlight a verse in the text window when you click on the same verse in the search window?

TLW,

What do you mean by "highlight a verse?" If you mean do something to make it stand out as the selected verse, the best way to do that right now would be to tie the windows together using the Window->Set->Tie function. This will keep the selected verse in the search window as the top verse in the text window.

There are a couple things going on with your other question. If your search text is in a workspace, it doesn't matter whether show all text is checked or not. It always opens a new tab within that workspace and then recycles to that tab. Recycling here seems to need improvement so it recognizes these other windows that are open outside the workspace when context is clicked.

If you have two separate windows not within a workspace, then it recycles fine as long as show all text is checked. I don't see a way around that right now. It is a possible feature request for 7.3 that Helen and the Oak Tree programmers/developers might consider.

Now for a feature request of my own. Some of us aren't blessed with 20+ inch screens, so we have to cram everything into, say, 12 inches of iBook space. In those kinds of situations, the Bible text can be pretty narrow when you start opening up more than one pane, especially in a situation like we are discussing in this thread where you have multiple windows open. Is there any way to put a toggle button for Bible texts so that you can choose to view them parallel vertically or horizontally? From what I have seen of old versions (prior to 6), this used to be a feature. I know there are ways to "trick" Accordance into putting a Bible text pane below another Bible text pane, but I'd rather be able to do it without all the deception.

What I mean by "highlight" when I click on a verse in context in the search window that it would be highlighted in a different color in the text window. My inquiry about this was based on the suspicion that there is no way to work around the checking the "show all text" issue. By the way is there a keyboard shortcut for checking/unchecking the "show all text" button? Also, I'm in favor of your request--sounds handy.

I have checked, and the Show All Text issue is indeed built-in to Accordance. The idea is that if you ask for Context, you want to see the context of the selected verse. That verse is bookmarked, but not highlighted. If the open Text window is not showing all text, it is not suitable for use for Context, so a new window is opened.

However, when you click on a Scripture link in a tool, it will reuse the Text window whether or not Show all text is checked. This is because you are asking for a single reference, not necessarily the context. This could be a workaround for you, if you open a Notes pane in parallel with the main text, such as NET Notes which has a note on almost every verse. Then clicking on the verse reference in the notes will recycle the Text window whatever its settings and wherever it is.

BTW, if you use the Highlight palette to highlight a verse reference, that will show up immediately in all panes with that verse, as long as you are not hiding the highlighting. You would need to remove the highlighting each time. So another option is to Show all text, tie the windows so they scroll together, and temporarily highlight the reference of interest.

Sorry we do not do things exactly as you are used in BibleWorks, but we do offer a lot of options.

I appreciate your attention to my questions! All in all I am happy with Accordance. This is really about doing away with a mouse click or two (which is certainly tolerable ) as well as my learning curve. Thanks again!

Archived