multiple users on same computer

Douglas Fyfe

probably not a common request, but is there a way to have multiple Accordance accounts on the same computer? for example if I have Accordance and so does my wife, and we want to use different modules etc.

I've been trying to set up multiple users on my computer, but with little success (partly me, partly permissions not working like they should). Even after downloading another copy of Accordance I'm either unable to open either as the other user, or it opens it accessing the same files as in the first account (not giving me the opportunity to log in as a different user.

I tried renaming one of the Accordances but the mac worked it out.

I completely understand if this can't happen - I've just been pulling my hair out last night and this morning, and sort of like my hair while it's there.

Thanks.

The AppStore version is specific to each user. The regular app does now place the modules and other files in a folder named Accordance in the user/Library/Applications support folder, so they are only available to that user. Up through OS 10.8 Mountain Lion, you could move that folder to the local domain (hard drive) Library/Application support (and allow all users read/write access) and the files could be accessed by any user, as long as they validated Accordance. Apparently Mavericks does not allow this, but we are still investigating the implications of this change.

Thanks Helen. I've been talking to Apple Support the last two days (am currently on hold to them) - I'm more and more convinced this mac is a lemon though (maybe they'll give up and give me a brand new computer), as the permissions are just weird.

I'm still on 10.6 - there's no user/applications folder (at least not on my mac) - the app itself is stored in Macintosh HD/applications, although the files are stored in user/documents/Accordance Files if that means anything.

No, the modules are in user/Library/Applications support, but that Library is invisible in Lion and above (not Mountain Lion). Try pressing option as you open the Go menu in the finder.

hi again.

have now spent 5 days trying to fix it.

tried deleting Accordance completely and all associated files,

but when I tried to reinstall from scratch, it keeps looking for files that aren't there.

that is, the preferences are still there, even though I want to start from scratch.

i tried then restoring those files from my backup, and even though I can see them in the file menu, it won't look at them or access them.

there is little hair left on my head.

i think if I could start from scratch it may be okay (all the files would be in the right spot), but even that's not seeming possible.

Edit: i've just tried clicking on a file itself in the file menu (which worked near the beginning of the process), but even then it asks where the file is that i've just clicked on. if only the computer would reason with me!

Edited by Douglas Fyfe

All files should be either in /Library/Application Support/Accordance or /Users/YOUNAME/Library/Application Support/Accordance

as Helen has stated holding down the option key and clicking on Go in the finder will take you to your user Library file which is invisible by default in Lion and above.

-Dan

I was able to screenshare with Doug last night and restore his Accordance. He is unusual in that he wants different installations of Accordance for each user. His basic problem was that his Accordance folder was in the local domain (Hard drive) /Library/Application Support/Accordance, which is where it should be if he wanted each user to share the same Accordance installation.

Sorry that he wasted 5 hours with Apple trying to sort it out. Time differences and a busy seminar weekend made it hard to connect directly earlier.

Lesson: serious trouble with an Accordance installation is best sorted out by screenshare with one of our tech support people. There are just too many variables to sort it out any other way.

• Like 2