Is there something like Metzger Textual Commentary for BHS?

wheel

BHQ is the closest to this. If you buy BHQ for Accordance you get everything that comes in the print version... but in a way better format. One of the modules included in the BHQ is a textual commentary. The BHQ does not yet cover the entire HB (for Accordance or print). For more information about this, you can go here.

Also, while the cost of BHQ seems expensive for Accordance, it is a fraction of the cost of the print edition.

Edited by RobM
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...

It's not in Accordance, but there is the Textual Criticism and the Translator series by Eisenbrauns. There is so far a Handbook on Isaiah and one on Jeremiah by Jan de Waard. Google Books will let you preview at least the former.

BHQ is an excellent textual commentary, too. I agree with RobM--the way it's formatted in Accordance is superior (significantly) to the print edition.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wheel,

Another text you may want to check out is Barthélemy's Critique textuelle de l'Ancien Testament.

The preliminary reports have been translated into English and offer a wonderful commentary on the "most important" textual variants in BHS. While they are not as in depth as the BHQ commentary, they do cover the entire Hebrew Bible. I think the English title is Preliminary and Interim Report on the Hebrew Old Testament Text Project. (It's a 5 volume set.)

I would guess that these books won't make it into Accordance anytime soon, though...

-Jonathan

Edited by Jonathan Kiel
  • Like 2

• 9 years later...

I wonder if there is any chance we could get Barthélemy in Accordance. Final and/or Preliminary reports

Edited by mdgrotheer
  • Like 3

After I liked the posts.

The one post from Abram fell out because...

1407452474_Bildschirmfoto2022-04-01um15_54_55.png.6cc98ed14a1e1e6c40aeaec45e70a2b9.png

• Haha 2

Getting Barthélemy's Critique textuelle de l'Ancien Testament in Accordance would be amazing. There is nothing else like it.

The work is about 20x the size of Metzger.

I wrote about the project here: https://brianwdavidson.com/2015/01/17/2015-01-17-overview-of-the-hebrew-old-testament-text-project/ 

All the files are available as PDFs here: http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2018/06/barthelemys-critique-textuelle-de.html?m=1 

1 hour ago, mdgrotheer said:

I wonder if there is any chance we could get Barthélemy in Accordance. Final and/or Preliminary reports

Edited by Brian W. Davidson
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brian W. Davidson said:

Getting Barthélemy's Critique textuelle de l'Ancien Testament in Accordance would be amazing. There is nothing else like it.

The work is about 20x the size of Metzger.

I wrote about the project here: https://brianwdavidson.com/2015/01/17/2015-01-17-overview-of-the-hebrew-old-testament-text-project/ 

All the files are available as PDFs here: http://ancientworldonline.blogspot.com/2018/06/barthelemys-critique-textuelle-de.html?m=1 

Need to make this happen! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, Jordan S said:

@R. Mansfield, could you remove the 100K cap on Fabian's daily reaction limit?

Done.

Some points of note:

• Sorry I just now saw this. Sometimes things slip by me.
  • I have set the reaction limit of most groups to "unlimited."
  • However, I can't imagine needing to have such a limit raised 👀
  • And in regard to the above, what I say about the menu at The Cheesecake Factory applies here: If everything is a specialty, then nothing is a specialty.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/14/2022 at 7:39 AM, R. Mansfield said:

Done.

Some points of note:

• Sorry I just now saw this. Sometimes things slip by me.
  • I have set the reaction limit of most groups to "unlimited."
  • However, I can't imagine needing to have such a limit raised 👀
  • And in regard to the above, what I say about the menu at The Cheesecake Factory applies here: If everything is a specialty, then nothing is a specialty.

Circling back on this. Is your fourth bullet point here in reference to the Barthélémy discussion above or something else? :)