Flashcards

Outis

Hi all,

I gave my hebrew flashcards to my sister-in-law. She made good use of them. But now I don't have any flashcards. So Here's my question (actually there's two):

1) There are bunches of flashcard programs in the app store for my iPhone. Which one do you suggest.

2) How can I get Accordance to search for words which are used greater than x times in the OT (or NT)?

Thanks,

Hi Steve,

I do't have a fave for iOS, Anki is my preferred on MacOS.

As to the other, select your text (say HMT-4) and put in [COUNT X-10000] when in word mode.

You can then do an analysis and get a word list with meaning and count...

• Like 1

Mental Case (Mac & iOS) is a great flashcard app. You can create your own sets or import from flashcardexchange.com

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner. Had a busy day or two.

Thanks to you both for getting back to me. The hebrew keeps sliding off the plate. I just gotta keep putting it back on the plate again.

I've been using Anki for my Greek and Hebrew flash cards for a number of years. The desktop version is free but the iOS version is not. It syncs to the web and uses a "spaced repetition" so the cards that I get correct I will see less often.

• 2 weeks later...

I heartily recommend iFlash, which IMO has the most features, iPhone/iPod syncing, fully Unicode compliant, many user preference settings, etc. And it's really cheap...at least it was only $5 years ago when I purchased it.

I wrote a module called Flashcord File Converter that allows you to create decks for these programs (i.e. tab-delimited files) from the analysis results of Accordance searches you perform. This allows the creation of custom decks.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, for the comments. Joe, I'll have to give your converter a try. The prospect of individually adding hebrew words and then their definitions was crippling. Thanks for providing this tool.

Joe, you may just be my hero!

Where can I get the converter?

Thank you!

Mark

Though adding each word individually is very time consuming, I found two benefits:

First, I had seen each word at least once already and typing it in forced me to slow down. Second, I learned how to use the Greek and Hebrew layout on my keyboard without having to pull up a reference.

Joe, you may just be my hero!

Where can I get the converter?

Thank you!

Mark

Mark,

It can be downloaded here. It was written for Acc9, but I think should still work.

Let me know if not. It should just be minor tweaks.

Joe

Thanks so much, Joe! I will try it out and post back to let you know how it goes in v.10.

Does anyone have a tip about getting Hebrew content into Mental Case from Accordance?

Copying and pasting into the note cards requires manually changing the font selected in Mental Case, which is fine since the text copies out as Yehudit and I am able to select that in the flash card application, thus applying it to the entire stack. However, after excitedly syncing a stack of about 100 cards from my Mac application with the iOS version of MC, there was no Yehudit font option in the iOS version of Mental Case, so none of my Hebrew cards are readable on the go.

Should I change the way I extract the text from Accordance?

BTW, I haven't begun using Joe's scripts yet for the "File Converter" but I plan too when I get a chance to experiment this coming week.

Thanks all!

I would think that converting the text to Unicode fonts would be the better option.

Yes, you need to use unicode. Export to .rtf, clean the file up some, then import into FlashCardExchange.

The only downfall that you will have with Mental Case is its inability to change Syriac Fonts. It doesn't support the Estrangelo script, only the Serta.

Edited by James Tucker

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, unicode took care of the problem. Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Mark,

It can be downloaded here. It was written for Acc9, but I think should still work.

Let me know if not. It should just be minor tweaks.

Joe

Joe, is your flashcord converter broken? I tried to use it and get this message: "“FlashCord Converter” is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

Michael,

Something very well may have broken in Yosemite. I've not checked it. Will have a look sometime soon.

Joe