Why Does Font Book Scramble Accordance Fonts?...

Justin D. Morgan

I recently purchased a new Greek text module (GNT_BYZ) for use with Accordance 7.3 on my trusty PowerBook G4. After I installed the module and opened it in Accordance, none of the words were spelled right and there were random non-Greek letters (such as boxes and curly braces) mixed in the Greek letters.

I remembered seeing something about font issues, and after running the Font Fixer, all the Greek looks like Greek -- correct Greek, that is.

Confession: I used Font Book last night to install a few fonts that I use for other purposes.

So can anyone tell me why Font Book messes up the Accordance fonts, and not any other fonts that I have installed? Bonus: Has anyone submitted this as a bug to Apple?

I just installed some more Accordance modules and got a similar font problem. But I ran FontNuke to clear the font cache, and that fixed it all up. I don't think the problem is in Font Book per se.

Hi Justin:

I had a similar problem after installing some modules with older installs. Even though the 5.7 or later installs work to install modules, I find that in some cases they leave some OS 9 fonts on the disk. Mac OS X is really smart and locates the OS 9 or other fonts and puts them in its font subsystem, "just in case".

Countach had the same problem when he installed the ABD.

You may find the steps in this post helpful:

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/inde...post&p=6134

Essentially, whenever you install a module that has an Accordance installer older than 7.1, 7.2 or 7.3 you will need to delete all the fonts from Font Book and the filesystem and rerun the 7.x installer.

I found this out because I have a lot of different Accordance modules with installers from 5.7 through 7.1. Any new modules that use a 7.1+ installer should not affect your fonts if your 7.2 or 7.3 system is running fine.

Countach mentioned FontNuke, I've never used it and not sure if it deals with OS 9 fonts that get installed.

Hope this is useful.

Rich

Just for future reference, Font Fixer is a utility that essentially deletes every theoretical location of Accordance fonts and reinstalls the newest ones to the appropriate place. If your font problems are being caused by other fonts, I'm not sure if it will help, but it should solve any other issues regarding Accordance Fonts.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I should add in to this thread that I also had a problem with jumbled fonts in Accordance. The Greek font would not show the correct text in the Accordance window (although to my extreme puzzlement copying the text into another application worked fine in that the Greek was showing perfectly!). It seemed to be confusing the font with another one that I have installed (one with musical symbols, which is why I recognised it). I tried Font Fixer and no change, then tried FontNuke and all was as it should be. Looks like there was some corruption of the font cache.

Thanks to Countach for the tip.

- Allan

Archived