Help - Stay on Bible Reference and view commentaries

eshane7

I open a text and want to see what various commentaries say about it. I can do this in parallel but I don't like to because it crowds the space. So I opened a new zone with a commentary. When I switch to a different commentary, it flips all the way to the beginning of the commentary. I have the two tabs tied, and sometimes if flips my Bible passage all they way to Gen 1. I know there must be a way, and I'm not seeing it. I have my Bible open to Eph 1:15 (in zone a), and want to switch to a different commentary (in zone b ) and want that commentary to auto-magically open to Eph 1:15, without changing my Bible passage. How do I do that? Does the recycle tab have anything to do with that, or is that for something else? Thanks in advance for the help with this.

Edited by eshane7

Hi, Shane--the tab ties go both ways (though users have requested one-way ties on the forums before), so that if you change where in the commentary you are in zone b (or open a new commentary that is not yet tied to your Bible) , it updates your Bible text in zone a to the same place, if that commentary and Bible are tied to each other.

So the thing to do would be get your commentaries set up (you can save as a workspace so you don't have to redo it each time), tie them to your Bible text, and then go to the verse you want in the Bible text--the commentaries will follow.

Does this get you to what you are trying to do?

(edited for clarity)

Edited by Abram K-J

Does this get you to what you are trying to do?

Thanks for the quick response. Sometimes it is hard to consicely describe what is trying to be accomplished. I have limited screen space, and my typical workflow is open a 2 Bibles in parallel view (English and Spanish). In a second zone, open one commentary (because of limited space). Read my passage, then read the commentary. Then flip to another commentary and read that commentary. However, when I select a different commentary in my second zone, I have to reselect the passage, instead of it opening to the passage I already have open. That is what I would like to accomplish.

If I understand correctly, you are suggesting that I open a few different commentaries in parrallel? Or perhaps in multiple tabs (Oh, duh, typing that just helped me understand that is probably what you meant). I see, so open several tabs (and then flip from tab to tab) instead of using the same tab to open different commentaries. I think that will work. Is that the best way to accomplish what I would like to do? Thanks!

Have you tried the Amplify feature yet? You could also Amplify (via the drop-down menu or the toolbar buttons) from the verse reference of your Bible text to the specific commentary you want. Then it opens right up to that verse. Maybe that's the way to go for you here.

But for me, I just set up all the commentaries I know I want on a given book of the Bible, all as separate tabs in the same zone. Then I tie them each to the Bible text and do searches and navigation from the Bible text so that all the commentary tabs follow me. So, yes, flipping from tab to tab is the way I do it, but that's not necessarily the only way.

That would work. You could also place the commentaries in a tabs within the same zone as your parallel texts. It depends on which fits best in your work flow: changing tabs or changing zones.

Shane,

What Michael said is what I do.

1. Have several commentaries that I will be using in the same zone (so each commentary in the zone will have a tab)

2. Each commentary is tied to my default Bible. This is done at top of the commentary tabs. Click on tab ties and select your primary or default Bible version.

At the church office, I also have limited screen space.

Hope this helps!
Joseph

Thanks for the tips everyone! I think I'm just going to need to open my favorite commentaries in tabs in zone #2 that. I like to keep the Bible open while reading the commentaries so I can quickly glance over to it without the need to click on anything. I will tie all the commentary tabs to my Bible so that I can just open my text and have all my commentaries at that passage.

As for the Amplify feature, I'm still getting use to using Accordance. I haven't really used that feature as much as I probably should have. I will certainly look into it. The only place I see it is in the Library beside the Title's name. I certainly don't have a good understanding of it.

Again, thanks for the tips and help. You guys have been a blessing and help!

• Like 1

I personally think Amplifying from the library is probably easiest, but you can also use the Amplify button in the Toolbar, or from the drop-down menu. But if the library Amplify is already working for you, just go with that!

• Like 1

Lol, I forgot about Amplify on the toolbar! That is great! I don't find the library particularly useful because it takes screen space and clicks if I keep it closed. Amplify off the toolbar is indeed the best option, probably better than having many tabs open. Thanks!

• Like 1

If you are really wanting to conserve space, hide the toolbar (toggle with cmd-opt-0) and when you wish to amplify a verse or word, right-click (control-click) it and it will give you an amplify menu.

Michael--glad you mentioned the right-click option: I can't find a way to right-click my way to an actual Amplify from a verse reference. I.e., the contextual menu that comes up doesn't appear to be as robust as what you can do with the Amplify icon in the toolbar, but maybe I'm missing something?

Abram

You are correct that the contextual menu is different than the amplify menu. I threw it out as an alternative to the "Amplify" button on the toolbar. To conserve space I toggle it off (cmd-opt-0), turning it on only as needed. I also will toggle the library (cmd-opt-1) and (sometimes) instant details (cmd-opt-2). I use the keyboard command, which is quick.

Accordance is wonderful in providing multiple ways to perform the same function. I am on an 11 inch MB Air, so tricks to maximize screen real estate are important to me.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
  • Like 1

Ah, thanks--okay. Agreed about the multiple methods. Our 2009 MacBook may be on its last legs (though we're trying to stretch it out), and an 11 inch MB Air is under consideration, so I may soon be trying to think more, too, about saving screen space!

Don't forget you can triple click your verse reference to amplify to your favourite commentary. And if you then set up some parallel commentaries to the first one and link them together, then turn on the recycle button, you can keep the commentaries open, they won't scroll as you scroll, but if you triple click on the verse reference again it will jump to the point in the commentary(ies).

If you need more explanation I can post a graphic guide.

• Like 3

Ken's tip is very useful.

Once you do that, you can also click on your verse reference tab and from there untie it from the commentary tab to which your verse reference was amplified. In this way then you can also scroll that primary commentary without your bible scrolling. However, in that case you'll need to re-triple-click your verse reference every time you come to another verse.

• Like 1

Don't forget you can triple click your verse reference to amplify to your favourite commentary. And if you then set up some parallel commentaries to the first one and link them together, then turn on the recycle button, you can keep the commentaries open, they won't scroll as you scroll, but if you triple click on the verse reference again it will jump to the point in the commentary(ies).

If you need more explanation I can post a graphic guide.

Wow, that is probably the best way for me to work with that. I didn't realize a triple click would do that. Thanks a bundle!

One other thing I found helpful is highlighting the reference in the Bible, and then clicking on Amplify on the toolbar, Selecting Reference Tools, and scrolling all the way to the bottom, and selecting All Reference, it quickly opens all the Reference works. Then I can pick what I want, and start closing tabs as decide too. Yet another way to quickly access everything, and then close it as needed.

Or make a group of the commentaries and open them from the amplify menu or contextual menu (actually my favourite). Then you can make different groups for different texts. One group for OT, one for NT, for Psalms etc etc.