Incorrect Greek Details in Acts 10-11

dlr

If one goes to Acts 10.14 or 11.8 in the tagged GNT and scrolls over Peter's response "μηδαμος" (certainly not), the instant details given are problematic.

The instant details say that this form comes from μη, δε, and εγω. However, Liddell Scott record that the form actually comes from μηδε and αμος.

It is a classical term that only occurs twice in the GNT. I think Liddell Scott is correct and the instant details need changing.

Thanks

d

Thanks for posting this. I've added a note at those verses as a reminder.

If the scholars agree, this is an error in the tagging of the text.

With Accordance 9.5.3 and up you can report a correction from the program by highlighting the text and going to the Help or the right-click menu. This is intended for typos, misreadings, and other types of corrections to the text ortool module, not a way to report bugs.

I wouldn't see the instant details as incorrect, for several reasons. The most important reason is that, yes although Middle-Liddell ascribes the lemma as that of μηδᾰμῶς, this form is an adverbial derivative that are morphologically dependent on on the pronominal forms. Thus, in the tagging schema, adjectival forms are tagged with the lemma of the pronoun (as the schema also does for the adjectival forms of ἐμός, ὑμέτερος, etc.).

Edited by James Tucker

Thanks for interacting James. You've kind of got a point, but the pronoun in question (if indeed there is one) is not εγω but rather τις. The relevant pages in the big Liddell (I'm using the 1985 9th edition) are 1124, 85, and 75.

1124 is the entry for μηδαμα (μηδαμως is listed in the morphologies). It is adverbial, as you say. I'm not sure why you then say its adjectival.

On p85, there is possible evidence that αμος is related to a pronoun (but derivation is not the nature of that relationship). The lexicon tells us that αμος is used for εμος (that does not mean derived from or dependent on) and is semantically equivalent with τις. If one keeps looking, one will find that this form has evolved from an old Doric form (αμα on pg 75) that explicitly connotes time in adverbial relationships.

So, there are 2 views of this etymology- one including a relationship with the pronoun τις (though "morphologically dependent upon" is not in view) and the other tracing the odd suffix back to a Doric form that explicitly does time jobs. I think the latter view has more weight, and explains why this old word is do infrequent in the GNT.

To the tagging- at the very least, I think εγω should be replaced with τις in the instant details. I have not found any mention of εγω when looking into this etymology. If you still defend the use of εγω in this instance, I ask that you please give a reference, so all may be blessed.

Thanks

d

• Like 1

So have the Accordance scholars come to a consensus yet?

The tagging is maintained largely by one of our scholars who rarely checks the forum…if it hasn't been already, we'll forward it to him to check.

• 6 years later...