Logos System X

jwritebol

I'm very interested in Accordance, but 27 steps for search like that? Bibleworks can do that in 2 steps:

On the command line:

Step #1: l pastoral (that is a lower case L) <enter> = limits search to pastorals

Step #2: ('kalos =cn *3 *@n*).('*@n* *3 kalos =cn) <enter> = Greek kalos with noun within 3 words with number, case, gender agreement.

A graphical search would take less than 20 steps I assume.

Just checking if there's not a faster way to do that kalos search in Accordance.

Ingo Sorke

It's not exactly 2 steps to enter those long command lines, not to speak of the time taken to learn them! Also David included steps like opening the text, and each click of the mouse.

However, I am mainly struck by the cryptic nature of your search entry in BibleWorks. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here is what David's search looks like, and I think it is very clear what he was looking for.

construct.jpg

Just for the record. The equivalent to BW's *3 (within three words) would be WITHIN 4 in Accordance. This is due to the default logic used by each program. In BW, *3 allows up to 3 words to be present between the two search terms, whereas in Accordance, WITHIN 3 allows only 2 intervening words.

(Quote removed)

Good point. Since my trial with Basilisk is not the same as "the real thing" I'll have to save some $$, get the next Mac Mini, and give Accordance a try! :)

The Logos Mac version is being delayed again according to a posting from their Exec on their newsgroup.

The latest info on their website said the Mac version would be available in Spring 2006, but now:

"The Mac product is slipping by a few months. I don't know how many, and I can't promise that it won't slip again -- I just don't know. But the best I know is that "Spring" is slipping to "end of summer".

Well.... I don't want them to slip...although I promote Accordance among my students as the best program and preach conversion to the Mac platform as often as I can ..... :D Logos offers the complete Kittel, a basic resource for Biblical Studies, a translation of the German original, not an "adaptation" suitable for American religious taste as the New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology ;):D

Dr. Botta,

Smiling and winking emoticons aside, you seem to have a real axe to grind with respect to NIDNTT. You've now complained about its editorial decisions in two separate threads, and while you're perfectly free to question them, it seems to me that you keep trying to shoot the messenger in the process.

In this last post you explain why you don't want the release date of Logos for Mac to slip: you want access to the big Kittel, and we don't offer it. That's fair enough, and perfectly understandable.

What I don't understand is what you're trying to imply when you compare Kittel (which has merely been translated from German into English) with NIDNTT, which has been "adapted" from the German original for a largely American evangelical audience. The implication seems to be that Logos offers more balanced resources than Accordance; but this, of course, is just silly. If NIDNTT were the only Greek lexicon available for Accordance, you might have a case, but since we also offer BDAG, Louw-Nida, Spicq, the "middle" Liddell and Scott, and the "little Kittel," your comparison makes little sense.

Perhaps that's your point: you're just trying to be funny without necessarily trying to make sense. That's fine, but my concern is that others who read your comment will come away with the wrong impression. If you don't care for NIDNTT, by all means voice your reservations about it. But please, stop impugning OakTree for the editorial philosophy of one resource out of the hundreds we currently offer.

Mr. Lang,

Some clarifications:

Dr. Botta,

Smiling and winking emoticons aside, you seem to have a real axe to grind with respect to NIDNTT. You've now complained about its editorial decisions in two separate threads, and while you're perfectly free to question them, it seems to me that you keep trying to shoot the messenger in the process.

Sorry if it you read it that way. Grind? it has been in my wish list for a while. I cannot carry the Theologisches Begriffslexikon zum Neuen Testament or the TWNT everywhere. But I am aware of the NIDNTT confessional bias. Most people are not. No problems with the messenger. I prefer Accordance to any other software, I had a Win version of the ABD but bought the Accordance version as soon as I could. I think that anyone who tries Accordance finds it painful to use any other software (BibleWorks, Logos etc.)

In this last post you explain why you don't want the release date of Logos for Mac to slip: you want access to the big Kittel, and we don't offer it. That's fair enough, and perfectly understandable.

What I don't understand is what you're trying to imply when you compare Kittel (which has merely been translated from German into English) with NIDNTT, which has been "adapted" from the German original for a largely American evangelical audience. The implication seems to be that Logos offers more balanced resources than Accordance; but this, of course, is just silly.

I re-read my message and cannot see the implications you read into it.

If NIDNTT were the only Greek lexicon available for Accordance, you might have a case, but since we also offer BDAG, Louw-Nida, Spicq, the "middle" Liddell and Scott, and the "little Kittel," your comparison makes little sense.

Perhaps that's your point: you're just trying to be funny without necessarily trying to make sense.

That sounds a littel bit ad hominen, don't you think?

That's fine, but my concern is that others who read your comment will come away with the wrong impression. If you don't care for NIDNTT, by all means voice your reservations about it. But please, stop impugning OakTree for the editorial philosophy of one resource out of the hundreds we currently offer.

NIDNTT is a Zondervan product. How can I be impugning OakTree or any bookstore that carry that book for anything? I think you misunderstood my posting.

Regarding Logos, in addition to the Kittel, they offer just a few modules that I am interested in that I would like to have available in Accordance:

A Grammar of Biblical Hebrew (Jo

Dr. Botta,

It would appear that we're both misunderstanding each other. I am happy that you did not intend to imply what I inferred. I was admittedly interpreting this post in the light of another post in which you had cited NIDNTT and other conservative resources as examples of how Accordance is "somehow victim" to "Christian religious fundamentalism." Since Helen had squelched that previous discussion as getting too theologically loaded, and since you then brought up NIDNTT again in a context where it didn't quite seem to fit, I assumed that you had some axe to grind. I'm sorry for misunderstanding your intentions.

As for the statement you felt sounded a little "ad hominem," I was actually trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. Since what I mistakenly inferred from your post made little sense to me, I was entertaining the possibility that you were trying to be humorous and that I just wasn't getting the joke. That's all I meant by my poorly worded statement that you might be "trying to be funny without necessarily trying to make sense." No personal attacks intended.

At any rate, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I really just didn't want your comments to be interpreted as indicating that Accordance only offers resources from one particular theological perspective. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Now, since our discussion has strayed from the main topic of this thread, we ought to begin a new thread if any further discussion is needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to mention that I bought into Logos last year with their Silver Scholar's set. I loved it! I loved the idea of having so many great resources at my finger tips (NAC, Church Fathers, TDNT, Journals, Systematics, etc). I however switched to a Mac in August knowing that Libronix was coming to the Mac. I however have gotten very impatient with the switch so I bought into Accordance a couple of months ago. I just attended the Wheaton training session and learned how to do some of the great things in the software and now am heavily considering selling my Libronix/Logos and buying more Accordance Modules. The only thing that holds me back are some of the concerns already expressed; a lack of certain modules (TDNT, NAC, Systematics are the most important to me). However with WBC & NIGTC coming soon and Pillar already out, Accordance is looking more and more like a great electronic library.

Just my 2 cents.

Greg Dietrich

• 3 months later...

I am currently in seminary. I know a lot of people with Logos. After sitting next to me for a while, they become accordance fans, bummed to be owning PC's. Then I try to convince them to buy a mac :D

Joel

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any concrete information on release dates for Logos? Merely curious to sample what they have on offer.

FWIW, I only bought into Accordance when the OS X version of Online Bible was not available. Having said that, and thinking back over the years, maybe I bought Accordance 3 for OS 7/8/9 while I still had the Online Bible.

I could see myself buying Logos for its extended library, but still using Accordance for its Bible searching tools because those are the ones I am most familiar with.

In fact, I still use Online Bible every now and then with a beta version of the application for OS X.

I also use some of the AGES libraries, but would prefer if they were able to be easily imported into Accordance (my struggles with creating User Tools are well documented elsewhere on this forum!).

In an ideal world I would use Accordance as the base application and import/access modules/tools/ebooks/texts/whatever from its GUI and using its tools.

I prefer to adopt a "both

I think it is high time to close this old topic. I am now doing so.

Correction: this thread is really old. I would prefer that we start a new one on the subject rather than continuing to bring up this one. I did not intend to squelch all discussion on the topic, even though I do not think that it is always appropriate for our Forum.

Archived