Accordance on Linux using Wine

Wayne Stewart

The nerve of some people! Only one day after the initial release.

I have a friend who is a Ubuntu fanatic and the first thing he tried was using Accordance under wine on his Ubuntu machine. I realise there is absolutely zero chance of you having tested this yourselves but I thought I would mention the difficulty in case some one has any insight.

Actually, I just tried the demo in wine: seems to work perfectly.
Later:

Noticed a problem: hebrew doesn't display properly (just weird symbols) Other windows software displays hebrew fine.

So any thoughts? I s there perhaps a specific font (presumably) that Accordance is expecting and not finding?

Thanks,

Wayne

• Like 1

I believe the fonts are universal but will need to be installed int he right place in linux i am not sure where that would be but i would guess Library/fonts/

-Dan

The fonts are actually embedded in Accordance, rather than installed on Windows. I wonder if the methods we're using for bundling/embedding don't work right in Wine? I assume the Greek content has the same problem.

I've successfully installed Accordance on Ubuntu. I've yet to put it to a thorough test, because I primarily use my Mac. I have the same problem with the Hebrew text. Greek seems to display correctly.

Have you copied the accordance fonts to the unix box???

-Dan

file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/Cardo99s.ttf

file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/GalSILR.ttf

file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/newathu.ttf

file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/SILEOT.ttf

file://localhost/Applications/Accordance.app/Contents/Resources/Fonts/SyrCOMTalada.ttf

You should be able to copy them out of your mac APP to the UNIX font folder and that might work.

I've listed above the TTF fonts, there are data fork true type fonts but I am not sure if those are needed… Right click and show contents. DISCLAIMER!!!! DO NOT RENAME OR MOVE ANYTHING IN THE APP OR IT MAY CEASE TO WORK PROPERLY...

-Dan

Edited by Dan Francis

Dan, as I said before, Accordance on Windows doesn't look for installed fonts, so any copying certainly won't help.

Of course, our Accordance release is for Windows, not WINE, but we won't forget our Linux friends.

Sorry I miss understood you.. I thought you had meant that it looks to the application first.. not only...

-Dan

I'm also interested in this. I'm still running version 9 under the emulator on my Linux machine, but it looks like version 10 under wine could be a better solution. I'm running Debian Testing which currently has wine 1.4.1 (wine 1.6 is out now).

I downloaded the demo the other day and noticed the Hebrew problem. This is a deal breaker, so I wont be upgrading to Accordance 10 for the moment. Are any of the other fonts apart from Greek used in the demo? Do they suffer from the same problem?

David

• 1 month later...

You know, just a comment. It seems since Linux is variation of Unix and Mac OS is really a Unix system that porting out a version for linux would be easier than windows.

I would dig that.

I really like my Mac, but I could have bought a dumb machine for 1000 less and bought more Bible software!

JC

• Like 1

Well there is hope that it will run under WINE sooner or later.. Once they have the bugs out of the way in windows they maybe able to take a peak into why fonts are not displaying properly under Linux/WINE...

-Dan

You know, just a comment. It seems since Linux is variation of Unix and Mac OS is really a Unix system that porting out a version for linux would be easier than windows.

You'd think that, and indeed porting applications without a user interface from Linux to OS X is not that difficult. But the OS X GUI API is completely different to anything in the UNIX world and porting from Mac to Linux would require rewriting the use interface completely from scratch.

It would be great if Accordance did this of course because a native application is always going to be better than some hack running through WINE (or the emulator which we can currently use for version 9). But there's no doubt that it's a big job for probably only a small return.

At the end of the day, it probably makes more sense to work towards supporting Accordance under WINE and put developer time into fixing bugs in WINE so that it works as well as possible. (The Hebrew display problem is almost certainly a bug in WINE - even if there is something slightly weird about the font in question which triggers the bug.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Good news!

I just built the latest wine git version (wine-1.7.10-112-g81c42ce) and it works! I can even copy and paste Unicode text to other applications.

Hebrew displays fine. I have found some glitches.

In the instant details window, the white space character immediately before a left bracket is displayed as a box (as though the character is missing in the font).

It crashes frequently when changing fonts in the character window unless you make the window float. The highlight window also has crashed.

I might look into upgrading, yet...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only issue I seen so far with the demo is a lag with the parallel view when scrolling with the mouse. Still would be nice to have it native and if you do decide to port to linux think about useing qt5 for the gui. its cross platform and you may want to backport the gui from linux to other versions.

• 3 years later...

I am having issues with accordance 12 on linux, the main window doesn't render.

See the bug post here:

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42488

I have only only managed to get Accordance 10 working under wine. I'm using version 10.4.5 and it's quite usable.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread... But I have successfully gotten both Accordance 11 and 12 (latest on the respective trees of each) to install under WINE 1.6.x

The problem that I run into with both of them, is that upon entering in the identifying information during the initial setup the program tries to validate the credentials and then pops up an error that says, "Internet Connection Timeout: Process Terminated."

It looks like there is an encryption issue when it is trying to login and verify creds.

Here is the output:

fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_PER_CONNECTION_OPTION stub
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unhandled dwOption 4
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unhandled dwOption 5
fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_PER_CONNECTION_OPTION stub
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unhandled dwOption 4
fixme:wininet:query_global_option Unhandled dwOption 5
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB
fixme:secur32:schannel_get_cipher_algid unknown algorithm 10
fixme:secur32:schannel_get_mac_algid unknown algorithm 200
fixme:secur32:schannel_get_kx_algid unknown algorithm 12
fixme:secur32:schannel_get_cipher_block_size Unknown cipher 0xa, returning 1
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB
fixme:secur32:schannel_get_cipher_algid unknown algorithm 10
fixme:secur32:schannel_get_mac_algid unknown algorithm 200
fixme:secur32:schannel_get_kx_algid unknown algorithm 12
fixme:secur32:schannel_get_cipher_block_size Unknown cipher 0xa, returning 1

Everyone says that Accordance "won't work under WINE" but nobody has said, as far as I can see, why is that?  What library is needed to be loaded so that it will work?  WINE on current versions of Linux is extremely stable, very quick, fast and powerful.

• Like 3

Video Frame: Artie Johnson 

Audio: Veeerrrry Interrresssting!

• Like 1

Here is a screenshot to show you what I am seeing.

Looks like the screenshot didn’t attach, but I’d still like to see it!

Here's the current status of Accordance under Wine for me:

I run wine 3.11 under Debian Testing.

Install of Accordance 12.2.8 went reasonably smoothly. I am able to download modules as part of the install process and then run Accordance under wine.

Unfortunately, that's where the good news ends.

I still see the problem mentioned in this thread where the main window does not render properly. If you scroll up and down it does flicker, but you're never left with something you can read. Although I managed to get a screen shot with text somehow.

Here's a couple of screen shots showing what I see:

post-30979-0-02569900-1531495527_thumb.jpg

post-30979-0-18065000-1531495544_thumb.jpg

I still run Accordance 10.4.5, which works OK.

Hi,

I've gotten it to work in Wine, but, the UI lacks menu items, etc., and texts and tools flash in and out of their panes/zones. Here is my most recent attempt in OpenSuse on my Mac:

post-32543-0-05875900-1531495658_thumb.png

Regards,

Michel

Edit: I see David and I posted at about the same time. I think we are seeing the same thing. It is difficult to populate a pane/zone with text, whether you triple click to populate a new one, or single click inside an existing one. I would love to run Acc in Linux.

Edited by Michel Gilbert

• 3 months later...

Hello Everyone,

I've been a dedicated Linux and Bibleworks user (for work) for years.  With the shuttering of Bibleworks, I'm researching my options for migrating to a new tool.  Accordance looks like my best shot, but I haven't been able to get it up and running in Linux yet, which is pretty key to my workflow.

In short, Accordance (the free version) doesn't seem to have internet access.  The installer works just fine, but on first launch the setup helper asks for Accordance account credentials.  The sign in fails immediately (details below).  I've tried adding various network-related packages (including winbind) to my wine config, but to no avail.  I don't use wine too much, so I'm hoping someone here with more experience using wine + Accordance can point me in the right direction.

Any suggestions?

Kernel: 4.18.0-10-generic

Wine: wine-3.20 (Staging)

Console Output:

USER@DEVICE:~$ wine /home/USER/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Oaktree/Accordance/Accordance.exe 
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 3.19 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0009:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
0009:fixme:atl:AtlAxWinInit version 0300 semi-stub
0009:fixme:win:SetGestureConfig (0x1012e 00000000 1 0x1ccfc94 12): stub
0009:fixme:shell:BrsFolder_OnCreate flags 30 not implemented
002b:fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_PER_CONNECTION_OPTION stub
002b:fixme:wininet:get_proxy_autoconfig_url no support on this platform
002b:fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB
002b:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
002b:fixme:secur32:schannel_get_protocol unknown protocol 5
GnuTLS error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
002b:err:secur32:schan_DecryptMessage Returning 80090304
002b:fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW Option 77 STUB
GnuTLS error: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
002b:err:secur32:schan_DecryptMessage Returning 80090304

GUI:

accordance-01.png

accordance-02.png

• Like 2