Proper way to footnote Pseudepigrapha/electronic texts?

R. Mansfield

This question isn't so much about teaching as it is research/writing, so Helen, feel free to move this message to another category if it's more appropriate.

Last week I purchased all the Accordance Pseudepigrapha modules for use in my dissertation. I'll confess that normally I use Accordance for searches and copying text that I don't want to retype, but actually footnoting from print sources which I can usually find in the library.

But am I correct in my discovery that there is not a readily available print edition of the PSEUD-T and PSEUD-E modules?

And if that's the case, would anyone be able to share a proper Turabian-style footnote example for the two modules above?

...would anyone be able to share a proper Turabian-style footnote example for the two modules above?

Rick,

This would be great if someone did. In fact, it'd be a handy idea to have an ongoing thread where folks posted examples of proper Turabian, SBL and even other citations. Part of the problem is there is still ambiguity in the systems.

• 7 months later...
Rick,

This would be great if someone did. In fact, it'd be a handy idea to have an ongoing thread where folks posted examples of proper Turabian, SBL and even other citations. Part of the problem is there is still ambiguity in the systems.

Joe,

Have you seen the newest edition (7th) of Turabian? It's supposed to have a lot of new material on citing electronic sources. I haven't gotten a copy yet, but am curious to know if they have improved this since the last edition.

Rick B.

• 2 months later...

Hi:

Most university/seminary libraries have examples for footnoting based on what each department requires. You might want to Altavista/Google/MSN/Yahoo "citation electronic sources" and limit it to your institution's domain.

In the mean time, here's a helpful link from Univ Alberta:

http://www.library.ualberta.ca/guides/citation/index.cfm

BTW, Turabian is based on Chicago Style.

In addition, many Religion/Divinity departments want you to use the naming/abbreviations for ancient sources from the SBL Handbook of Style (about $17 published by Hendrickson). I'm not sure, but SBL members used to be able to obtain a PDF version of it. Hope this helps.

Blessings,

Rich

• 1 year later...

I have a feeling that electronic citation practices are still in flux: The Chicago Manual of Style, 15th ed. (2003), doesn't appear to have exact guidance for this particular scenario of citing an electronic version of a book.

Here's an example, adapting the Society of Biblical Literature's Handbook of Style, sections 7.2.28 and 7.3.12 (note that I am not following their pattern exactly):

Footnote style:

67 Duane F. Watson,

Archived