Need Replacement Keyboard

Mick Matousek

Does anyone have any strong feelings about replacement keyboards. I need to purchase a couple. What kind do you like ? Which ones have a good quality feel ? Unicode caveats ? Any brand recommendations ? Any online review/comparison URLs ?

Does anyone have any strong feelings about replacement keyboards. I need to purchase a couple. What kind do you like ? Which ones have a good quality feel ? Unicode caveats ? Any brand recommendations ? Any online review/comparison URLs ?

Mike, I'm seeing your question almost a week after you posted it, but if you're still in the market, I highly recommend the Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard: http://matias.ca/tactilepro/

I spilled coffee on my eMac's keyboard a year or so ago and was in the market for a replacement so checked out a number of them. I briefly had a Kensington, but overall found it's keys to be mushier than what I like. Currently, I have it as a backup if I have another coffee accident.

But after doing a little research, I took a chance on the Tactile Pro, and I do love it. It uses the same "Alps mechanical keyswitches" that were used in the original Apple Extended Keyboard (thought by some to be the best keyboard Apple ever made). Because there is greater response, most people can actually type faster on these keyboards. Another feature I like about the keyboards from Matias is that they include the extended keyboard layout on the keys. Granted, it's not a unicode layout, but it makes finding extended characters quick and easy.

There are two caveats after using the Tactile Pro keyboard for over a year. It's much more expensive than other keyboards, but in my opinion, you are getting what you pay for. I think I found mine at Small Dog for $79. Also, it would not be good in a room with a lot of people. The mechanical keys are fairly noisy which is the price you pay for the added response time.

Second to that, my personal opinion is the next best keyboard is the one Apple is currently making. I really like their current keyboards and find them to be of very good quality compared to the ones from a few years back. Just don't spill coffee on them :)

Archived