Non-scripture links in User Notes

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

If I've missed this and it's there could someone help me out with how to do this. If not I'd love to see this added.

I am using a user note to comment on things in the GNT and I wanted to paste in a link to Robertson's Grammar on a point. He's the only one who treats this point that I can so far find. Anyhow, get my query and do a Copy as User Tool Link and paste it into a User Note. Yes I noticed there was a slight non sequitur there but ... it should work shouldn't it ? I guess not because in fact it does not, and the documentation doesn't mention it.

Does anyone know how to do this ? I could not find anything in the forums on this but I may have just missed it.

Thx

D

You can't do this into User Notes, is my understanding, only User Tools. I think I remember some chat about it being on the list, but not yet.

• 1 year later...

This would be extremely helpful. Please add this in one of the future updates! I am trying to reference User Tools where I am phrasing a passage, and also referring to other commentaries and it would be helpful to be able to have a link to click on. Thanks! 

Please don't reference threads over a year old for the current capabilities of Accordance :) As of 11.1, you can link to any Accordance module from a note or tool.

• Like 1

That's great Joel! Can you point me to some info on that? After trying everything listed on the youtube lighting the lamp videos, I've only created dead links in my notes. I'm trying to link from my notes to a tool I created. Like I said, it will look like I did everything correctly, but when I click on it nothing happens. I can definitely call tech support tomorrow, or if you have some simple advice that'd be awesome as well. I spent quite a bit of time to no avail. I actually just noticed that I was having the same issue as the first guy in this thread: http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/17110-specific-location-urls-accord/?hl=%2Buser+%2Bnote+%2Blink+%2Bnot+%2Bworking&do=findComment&comment=82785. All of my current user notes seem to be corrupted? How did this happen? Is there anyway I can easily transfer all of my notes into a new note file? I won't bog up this thread anymore, but just wanted to update and ask. 

Edited by paulnystedt

How are you trying to create a link?  Simply click the link button (looks like a link chain), select the type to be a Resource Link, and choose your tool and search.  Are you sure you are running Accordance 11.1.x?  Your profile says 10.x.

Yes I am running the newest version of 11. I edited my above response as you contacted me, so I don't know if you read the whole thing. It appears all of my previously created notes files are corrupted because it just worked fine in a new note. What should I do? 

Update: I went through and transferred all of my notes one by one. Thankfully, I haven't been utilizing "user notes" as much as I plan to from here on out. I still would like to know what I do if that happens again? If I have thousands of notes I don't want to have to go through one by one. Thanks!

If you experience it again, send me a message and a copy of the file if possible - especially if you recall what actions you had last taken before it seems like the notes don't work.  There may be an obscure case that leads to a URL issue, so the sooner we can identify it, the better!

Thanks, I figured you'd say that. Unfortunately, I deleted the old files, so if it happens again I will save it and send it to you. I think it probably became corrupted in switching computers and moving the files around a couple of times. Thanks for the help. :)

Update: We did actually find and fix two issues with the URLs, so once 11.1.3 hits, you should hopefully not experience the issue again.

Hi Joel

I have existing links in a user tool which link to Accordance tools/files/URLS and they no longer work. I have to update them before they will work which in the case of one particular user tool I have will be rather time consuming. Is it likely that this will be corrected in the update. 

If they are already corrupted, there is unfortunately nothing we can do.  However, once 11.1.3 goes live (not too long, I hope!) you should be able to correct them and have the fixes stick.  We're very sorry for the hassle this causes!