Help with searching in User Tool

hesed

I'm trying to figure out the best way to search within a (and possibly many) user tools. I have a copy of the Westminster Confession, and I'd like to find an easy way to search for any place that the WCF references verses in a particular passage. For example, whatever passage I'm preaching on for a given week, I'd like to be able to see if any of that passage is referenced in the WCF. Eventually I hope to add a number of other creeds, confessions, and catechisms, and I'd like to be able to expand this search to all of them. Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks

Before you reinvent the wheel, be aware that there is a Creeds module included in the Library 6 Introductory Level, which includes the following:

The Apostles

Thanks David. Unfortunately I don't have the Library 6 Introductory Level, I have Scholar's Collection 6.4, and the creeds don't appear to be included there (and as a student I can't really afford to pay for something I can do myself :) ).

From your response, it sounds like I'd have to enter each verse individually, one at a time, in each of the confessions I want to search, correct? This could be a bit tedious when I'm looking at a whole chapter.

Even as a student, your time is worth something, so don't make the mistake of thinking that it's always more cost effective to build from scratch something you could simply buy. Let's estimate an hour of your time to be worth at least $10, then suppose it takes you a half hour to add each of the fourteen creeds included in the Creeds module to your User Tool (an optimistic appraisal!). That adds up to $70 by itself. Besides, the $69 for the Introductory Level gets you a lot more than the Creeds module, such as several additional Bibles, including your choice of one unlockable Bible (NIV, NRSV, NET, etc.), along with a number of useful tools. Please understand I'm not trying to give you the hard sell or to keep you from proceeding with building your user tool. I'm just cautioning you to consider that the time spent trying to save a little money can sometimes end up costing you more. I've learned that the hard way with a few home improvement projects! :)

Okay, end of sermon. Now to answer your question. No you don't have to search for each individual tool. If you are studying Genesis 3 and want to find every place any verse in that chapter is cited in the WCF, just search the Scripture field for Genesis 3. Or search for Genesis to find every reference to any verse or chapter of that book. Or search Gen-Mal to find every Old Testament citation in the WCF.

User Tools and full-fledged Accordance tools work the same way in this respect.

Hope this helps.

Archived