Copying original languages

A.D. Riddle

I'm using Accordance Scholar's 6.9 on a HP laptop. I just purchased the product at SBL in Philly and I'm very please with it so far. But two problems:

1) I have the same problem with Accordance & Emulator choking up and freezing, and

2) I can't figure out how to copy single words, phrases or verses in Hebrew or Greek. Every time I try to copy something, it wants to copy all 7 thousand+ verses in the NT or all 20 thousand+ verses in the OT. Can someone tell me how it's done? Seems like it ought to be pretty simple.

I realize I have to save as RTF Unicode in order to use it in PC Word, but I can't even get that far.

Thanks,

A.D.

Sorry, but one of the limitations of the emulator is that the clipboard does not support Unicode, and you must convert Greek and Hebrew to Unicode in order for it to display in Windows. Therefore you cannot copy and paste Greek and Hebrew into Windows.

You can only isolate the verses or text you need in a window (Reference tools can collect verses for you, and User Tools can be used to collect anything you want), and then save the window as RTF on the Winsows side, in order to open it in Word and copy from that document into your own document, or edit that document.

All of this is explained in detail, and illustrated, in the Emulator Manual which was extensively revised this year.

I have the most recent Emulator manual and I went through it again for help. That cleared up part of my question. I was not trying to simply copy and paste into Windows because I know you can't do that. I was trying to save as RTF but the program was trying to save the entire NT or entire OT and I only wanted particular phrases or verses.

I figured out that if I type my Scripture reference up in the search bar instead of the lower right verse tab, that that will isolate verses for me. (By the way, is there a nice diagram giving the names of all the windows, bars, tabs, etc.?)

You wrote, "Reference tools can collect verses for you, and User Tools can be used to collect anything you want." That doesn't help me much now, because I have no idea what you are talking about--still finding my way around the program.

As for the Emulator freezing up, the manual suggests entering 10 in the "milliseconds to sleep." But I can't find the BasiliskII preference window in order to click the "misc" tab. Where is it?

A.D.

See page 10 on configuring the emulator. That Q and A refers to the BasiliskIIGUI.exe.

I recommend waiting for at least a minute after saving an RTF or PDF file to Windows, before switching to Windows. This seems to reduce the number of crashes. Has anyone tried whether it crashes less if you save the file to the emulator disk first and then transfer it via My Computer?

The Reference lists and User Tools are described in the PDF and HTML documentation which you should have copied to Windows and accessed on that side.

Thank you. That did the trick.

As you can see from my problem with selecting text to save, I haven't saved enough RTF files to see how it works. But since I'll be using Accordance a lot, and since I don't want it to freeze, I'll be experimenting and let you know if I find anything that works. Yesterday, the Emulator froze 4 times in 2 classes. A big inconvenience.

A.D.

Archived