#87) Linking Commands

Timothy Jenney

Accordance's three linking commands, [LINK], [HITS], and [CONTENTS] temporarily “link” Accordance windows (zones or tabs) together, allowing searches in the source window to affect other windows. These powerful commands allow simultaneous searches, searches within searches, and cascading searches in multiple windows. Join Dr. J ask he reviews these three commands, providing practical applications for each.

Tim,

This instruction video has helped me much. What I like with the commands in A is that these are not like the instant-coffee stuff so that that you cannot see behind the curtains.

With these commands you are an actor yourself and can easily make your own choices. And fast it is, almost too fast :-)

I am nearly at the end of your dissertation, FYI. Interesting too!

Blessings,

Gr. Hans

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this podcast! It really opened up my understanding of how powerful the LINK command could be. I know everyone is thrilled with the Mounce Dictionary but there are times when I miss Strong's Greek. Strong's identifies the components of compound words which is really helpful (a feature which would really improve Mounce's). I now have a pane for Mounce's Dictionary and a pane for Strong's Greek LINKed. So, when I triple-click on a word it shows in BOTH the Mounce and Strong's Greek. AWESOME.

I always enjoy these podcasts. Just one question. I prefer not to install Flash, and without it, the OP above shows a missing plugin empty box. But I can actually see the same podcast from YouTube. (I joined youtube.com/html5 beta) Do you think you can link the non-flash version in the future? Is that even possible? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

This instruction video has helped me much. What I like with the commands in A is that these are not like the instant-coffee stuff so that that you cannot see behind the curtains.

With these commands you are an actor yourself and can easily make your own choices. And fast it is, almost too fast :-)

I am nearly at the end of your dissertation, FYI. Interesting too!

Blessings,

Gr. Hans

Oops! Sorry, Ken, I missed your response to my post. Glad you are enjoying my doctoral dissertation. For those of you reading this thread, it is the basis of my commentary on Revelation, which is included in the Life in the Spirit Commentary on the New Testament. Enjoy!

• 4 months later...

Truly impressive Accordance commands. Wish I had known how to use them earlier!

Hey, y'all (Ken and Jonathan especially) — Why not just subscribe to the podcasts at iTunes? You don't need Flash, and you won't miss any of them.

I just subscribed in iTunes and downloaded 12 of the ones that sounded the most interesting/useful. Thanks!

• 2 years later...

How do I search for the unique words instead of the same words between two windows? Would I simply add the NOT command before the HITS command? 

A NOT command means you want verses where none of the source words exist.  What you likely want is *@-[HITS ____], which means all words that don't exist in the source tab.

• Like 1

Thank you! This is what I want. 

I attached my search below. Why does חמשים and other Biblical Hebrew words appear in the results? Am I doing something wrong?

post-33739-0-77482300-1459723335_thumb.png

Edited by rblackwelder

Your search is setup properly.  The reason that word is found is due to a difference of tagging (can't explain why - out of my department).  The lexical form of חמשים in the DSS is חֲמִשִּׁים, but when used in the HMT it is חָמֵשׁ.

The default for the HITS command is to compare lexical forms, and thus חֲמִשִּׁים is never found as a lexical form in the HMT.  If you want to compare the written inflected forms, use HITS=I (I for inflected), though this doesn't really work well since the DSS is unpointed, and thus most inflected forms are different :)

It is helpful to know that this discrepancy is not a result of a faulty search setup. This search is a good start. I will just have to narrow down the results manually. Thank you again for your help!