New Printer Quest

Michael Miles

I've been using a 2001 vintage LaserJet HP1220se printer via a Linksys PSUS4 print server on my home LAN for years. I got the driver for Mountain Lion for this printer, but it never prints. I get toner off eBay for cheap and my wife uses it like clockwork, so it's staying for her and her Windows use. I also use it for my Linux boxes. I'd like to get a new B&W Laser printer that will work with ML and not cost me a bundle to keep fed with toner. I did work in IT for years and saw the quality of many laser printer manufacturers go downhill, so I'm going to be kind of picky, trying to get a solid build that I can squeeze a decade out of.

I'm looking at Okidata and Ricoh as every one of those I have had to deal with runs seemingly forever, but I'm early in the turning-over-rocks process and I thought I'd ask here about what printers you all use with your Mac and/or iOS devices. ???

Thank you.

Michael - I'll be watching this one. My husband has an HP Laser Jet that has been a real pain. Even before ML, there were communications issues. He ends up printing to the Canon that is connected to my MBP via an external monitor. We have the same requirements - don't want the machine to break the bank in the initial purchase or care & feeding, NO communications problems (is it the driver?), longevity.

HP seems to be having big problems. Computers not so good. Printers not so good, at least for Macs.

Edited by Julie Falling

Although expensive, I am partial to Lexmark. At work we had used hundreds of them with little trouble. They were more expensive to purchase than other brands and the consumables were more expensive, but they just worked. A few years back the company switched to HP to save some money. There's still a Lexmark not too far from my desk and that's the one I print to, even though there are brand new HP's sitting right next to it.

At home, I have a Brother multifunction: DCP-9045CDN. This thing has been a great help to our homeschool family, but you do get what you pay for. I've suffered from toner leaks and print quality issues, but it does what we need it to do for cheap.

• 2 months later...

I am still partial to Brothers. (I realize that my comments are probably a "day late and a dollar short"). My Brothers printers include: Brothers FAX 2920 which is a NON WIRELESS black-white fax-printer. Works fantastic! Have a Brother HL-3040 CW (this is no longer available) and HL 2070 (black-white) and another HL 2.... (not sure if available). their most current printer is wi-fi enabled: Brothers HL-3075CW. It is wireless and prints in color.

If you need FAX capability, my suggestions would be

a. Purchase the FAX 2920 if you only need Black-white printing. NOTE: even though it is NOT a wireless printer, you can use

Bonjour to print from other Macs on your network to the printer.

b. If you need COLOR printing (in addition to faxing): purchase the HL-3075CW -- but you will only need a SCANNER or the Brothers FAX 2920.

You can do one of two things (assuming that you need COLOR printing) in addition to faxing:

1. SCAN your pages into your computer, and then FAX via a USB modem. I can attest that the ZOOM 56K USB Modem, Model 3095 WILL WORK with MAC Mountain Lion. In fact, their webpage attests that it will work with MAC Mountain Lion

2. Purchase the FAX 2920, and use it to fax your materials.

I second the Brother printers. I bought an HL-2270DW a few months ago and love it! Very economical to operate and quite fast at printing too.

I just purchased and HP LaserJet P1102 W. It is wireless and can print from an iPad or iPhone as well as our Mac Laptops and our one PC. I think we paid around 120 for it. It was easy to set up and works like a charm if you only need a B&W printer.