search of lemma

David Wheeler

Is there an easy way to search for lemma on the iPhone?

Is there an easy way to search for lemma on the iPhone?

Yes, but not in the same way as on the computer.

Here's what I did: with BHS open I selected a word to get its instant details. I then tapped on the lexical form of the word and selected it and copied it. Next, I closed the ID palette and clicked search (the magnifying glass) and selected word search and pasted the word into the search line and presto I did a lemma search (I did a search for היה and it found all the various forms).

Accordance people, is this the correct/best way to do this?

yes; or just type in the lemma if you know it already (obvious one Rob, but the initial post didn't imply this).

Rob,

I see how that works. But perhaps I'm missing something. After I copy/paste and search; I can't get back to reading the text I was reading; or even the split screen setup I had before I did the lemma search. I don't think I would want to "navigate" away from my reading panes if I have set them up again and again.

-David

Yes, but not in the same way as on the computer.

Here's what I did: with BHS open I selected a word to get its instant details. I then tapped on the lexical form of the word and selected it and copied it. Next, I closed the ID palette and clicked search (the magnifying glass) and selected word search and pasted the word into the search line and presto I did a lemma search (I did a search for היה and it found all the various forms).

Rob,

I see how that works. But perhaps I'm missing something. After I copy/paste and search; I can't get back to reading the text I was reading; or even the split screen setup I had before I did the lemma search. I don't think I would want to "navigate" away from my reading panes if I have set them up again and again.

-David

The split screen setup shouldn't change when doing a word search (assuming you didn't change anything prior to performing the search). As far as going back to your previous place in the text, that is not possible yet. A history feature is planned. One item that might help with this is setting the context to show all verses prior to performing the search, then use the mark button to jump from hit to hit, which should eventually bring you back to the place you started (or you can use the verse chooser to get there as well).

Here are 4 shots to illustrate this:

post-5629-094691900 1298994663_thumb.png post-5629-064716000 1298994672_thumb.png post-5629-002884300 1298994681_thumb.png post-5629-015850400 1298994688_thumb.png

HTH

Rob,

-David

I think what I would like to see is the ability to have tabs where we could do lemma searches in a separate tab from our main reading tab. Perhaps they could be designed the same way the iPhone Safari browser does tabs. Is this or something like planned for a future update?

The split screen setup shouldn't change when doing a word search (assuming you didn't change anything prior to performing the search). As far as going back to your previous place in the text, that is not possible yet. A history feature is planned. One item that might help with this is setting the context to show all verses prior to performing the search, then use the mark button to jump from hit to hit, which should eventually bring you back to the place you started (or you can use the verse chooser to get there as well).

HTH

Sorry I wasn't completely clear. The copy/paste works perfectly to get the lemma search; it is exactly what I want to do. (BTW, the mark buttons don't move from hit to hit for me; but that is not a big deal with this search; however, if I we were able to do a BDAG triple click, the ability to move via the mark button would be very welcomed.)

So, after I've completed the lemma search, even when I use the "go-to" verse function, it doesn't navigate back; I'm left at the lemma search window. I'm sure I'm missing something very simple.

-David

Can you tell me the exact search you're attempting so I can get a better idea of what's going on? The only reason I can think of why the go-to function doesn't work is if the verse you're attempting to navigate to isn't in the display results. Did you change your context to show all?

Can you tell me the exact search you're attempting so I can get a better idea of what's going on? The only reason I can think of why the go-to function doesn't work is if the verse you're attempting to navigate to isn't in the display results. Did you change your context to show all?

I did not change the context to "all". That makes it work.

But if you don't change the context, it doesn't look like you can get back to place where you started w/o resetting everything.

So, by setting the context to all it works well enough for me.

-David

I did not change the context to "all". That makes it work.

But if you don't change the context, it doesn't look like you can get back to place where you started w/o resetting everything.

So, by setting the context to all it works well enough for me.

-David

Yes, we're aware of the current limitation and are already working on improving it. :-)

Archived