This is a strange one! Bug!

Julia Falling

Something really weird is going on here. Our interim pastor was preaching on 1 Cor 2 this morning. We were there with our iPads reading along, checking footnotes, and looking at the Greek behind the English.

When my husband highlighted testimony in vs 1, what came up in the pop-up was μαρτθριον. However, when I highlighted testimony, μυστηριον came up. We both were looking at the NAS95. My secondary pane was the GNT-28. My husband's secondary pane was the NET Notes.

We're both running Accordance 1.7.2.

iPad Airs 64G

Update: We both rebooted and the issue persists.

Edited by Julie Falling

Hi Julie,

That sounds really odd. There is a Greek text difference here though. TR has τὸ μαρτύριον τοῦ Θεοῦ where GNT28-T has τὸ μυστήριον τοῦ θεοῦ. I don't know how this would happen on an iOS device as I don't have one - is there some configuration setting that might affect it ? But I can't see how to repro. it on a desktop either.

Thx

D

Daniel – Yeah. I had discovered that, too. The only thing I could think of is that something might not be updated. We're running the same module in the same version of Accordance in the same version of iOS. We've both rebooted. I'm now in the process of making sure all my husband's Accordance modules are updated on his iPad.

Back in a minute . . .

OK. Just updated all the Accordance modules on his iPad. Highlighting testimony on his iPad now comes up μυστηριον also. Problem solved. I'm very faithful about keeping all our computer installations of Accordance updated, but it's up to Steve to keep his iPad updated. Maybe he'll do it more frequently in the future.

It's surprising how many of the modern versions have stuck with testimony, isn't it? But, according to the NET Notes, it's a pretty close call between the two variants. According to the UBS4 apparatus, however, μυστηριον get a {B} – not so close.

Glad its fixed - I did wonder about module versions but forgot to mention it by the time I wrote my post.

I haven't studied the passage in detail so I'm short of an opinion here. A text critic would have to comment on the Greek but it appears clear that there is a disagreement on the weighing of the evidence here, with NET going with μαρτύριον and NA with μυστηριον.

Hmmmm.... interesting though.

Thx

D

Yeah. And also interesting that, though opinion about the reading is divided, it really has no impact on any significant Christian doctrine.

It's an interesting one, and I don't really want to get into the relative weight of the evidence, but

¶ 2,1 μαρτυριον 2 B D F G L P Ψ 33. 81. 104. 365. 630. 1175. 1241. 1505. 1506. 1739. 1881. 2464 M b vg syh sa txt P46vid ℵ✱ A C ar r syp bo; Hipp BasA Ambst

The NA28 apparatus shows the issue. The evidence for μαρτυριον is quite wide and multi-lineal, however the evidence for μυστήριον is early. How best do you weigh that? and on top of that the P46 is only what appears to be there . Anyway, the textual evidence (to me) seems slightly on the μαρτυριον side, but the principle of "the harder reading is more likely to be the correct reading" seems to favour μυστήριον.

it's a hard one, and I personally would probably weight it lower than a B, Metzger says:

From an exegetical point of view the reading μαρτύριον τοῦ θεοῦ, though well supported (c B D G P Ψ 33 81 614 1739 Byz itd, g vg syrh copsa arm eth Origen al), is inferior to μυστήριον, which has more limited but early support in P46vid? ℵ* A C 88 436 itr, 61 syrp copbo Hippolytus Ambrosiaster Ephraem Ambrose Pelagius Augustine Antiochus. The reading μαρτύριον seems to be a recollection of 1.6, whereas μυστήριον here prepares for its usage in ver. 7

Comfort has an interesting entry

1 Corinthians 2:1

WH NU τὸ μυστήριον τοῦ θεοῦ

“the mystery of God”

P46vid A C syrp copbo

NKJVmg RSVmg NRSV ESVmg NASBmg NIVmg TNIVmg NEBmg REBmg NJB NAB NLT HCSBmg NETmg

variant/TR το μαρτυριον του θεου

“the testimony of God”

2 B D F G Ψ 33 1739 Maj itb syrh copsa

KJV NKJV RSV NRSVmg ESV NASB NIV TNIV NEB REB NJBmg HCSB NET

UBS3 cites P46vid? in support of the NU text. The question mark follows “vid” because the editors were not sure that P46 contains the word μυστηριον (“mystery”). Having examined the actual papyrus, I can affirm that the reading is μυστηριον (“mystery”), not μαρτυριον (“testimony”), because the Greek letter eta, though partially broken, is visible before the final four letters—which are also visible (ριον). The one letter makes all the difference in determining the reading. UBS4 (as well as the Nestle text) now lists this papyrus as P46vid.

WH NU have uncontestable support from the earliest extant document, P46. Several other witnesses, both early and diverse, also support WH NU. But the same can be said for the variant reading. So how then do we solve the problem? Competent textual critics such as Zuntz (1953, [p. 486] 101) and Fee (1987, 88; 1992, 5-8) have argued that μυστηριον is a scribal emendation influenced by 2:7. Other scholars, such as Brown (1968, 48-49) and Metzger (TCGNT), have argued that μαρτυριον is a scribal emendation influenced by 1:6. Actually, one can draw upon the context of 1 Cor 1–2 to support either word, because Paul’s message in these chapters is that his mission was to testify only of Christ, who is the mystery of God. The immediate context seems to support “mystery,” because chapter 2 focuses on the need for believers to receive revelation from the Spirit of God to truly understand all the hidden, secret riches of God that are in Christ Jesus (see 2:7-16). In summary, the internal and external evidence for this reading is divided, so it is not easy to make a decision of which variant is original. This indecision is displayed in the array of modern English versions. Though most versions follow “testimony,” these same versions print “mystery” in the margin.

So he goes for μυστηριον - maybe I will look at the p46 images myself sometime!

Excellent point about the impact on doctrine Julie, Very important to remember and think about that

Here's the p46 section from the Greek Papyri modules...

(Ⲡ46Ⲗ39ⲣ) ⲕⲁⲅⲱ ⲉ̣ⲗ̣ⲑ̣ⲱ̣ⲛ ⲡⲣⲟⲥ ⲩ̈ⲙⲁⲥ ⲁⲇⲉⲗ ⲫⲟⲓ ⲏⲗⲑⲟⲛ̣ ⲟ̣ⲩ ⲕⲁⲑ ⲩ̈ⲡⲉⲣⲟⲭⲏⲛ ⲗⲟⲅⲱ̅ [ⲏ ⲥ]ⲟⲫⲓⲁⲥ ⲕⲁⲧⲁⲅⲅⲉⲗⲗⲱⲛ ⲩ̈ⲙⲉⲓⲛ [ⲧⲟ ⲙⲩⲥ]ⲧⲏⲣⲓⲟⲛ ⲧⲟⲩ ⲑ̅ⲩ̅” (1 Corinthians 2:1 GNTPAP-C)

Clearly the transcribers saw an not a ⲩ̈ (though it would not have the diaeresis - I just copied it from an earlier word in the verse)

Ok, so this thing has caused much fun over the years it seems. There is even a reading for salvation suggested http://www.biblical-data.org/IC_P46.pdf. I can't find an image for the papyrus online that's adequate to check but I'm guessing Ken that what you have above indicates that the text in [] is difficult to decipher in p46. If that's so then [ⲧⲟ ⲙⲩⲥ]ⲧⲏⲣⲓⲟⲛ would also permit σωτηριον. Again ... hmmmmm..... and double hmmm......

Thx

D