ICC (International Critical Commentaries) module

Clayton Willis

I know that someone else was requesting the ICC series--I want to second that and see if there is any interest on Accordance's part for providing them.

I know that someone else was requesting the ICC series--I want to second that and see if there is any interest on Accordance's part for providing them.

Actually, I'd love to have these as well.

Many of them are in the public domain now.

Many of the previous generation commentaries are available in PDF facsimile and other formats at archive.org. I got these classic volumes as very nice, cleaned up, searchable PDFs (albeit with DRM copy protection) from Varda Books (they periodically run sales on them ~$149 for the 19 volumes; you can try the code ICCNEWTANAKH to see if the sale price is still valid).

I would really like the ICC in all of its readable, searchable glory. I would like both the older (some now in the public domain and some not) and the newer volumes. The new volumes of Godingay on Isaiah are very good. PDF won't do because it is most useful to have the commentaries integrated with the rest of the library.

Thanks, JP!

I was able to download the two volumes on Revelation by R H Charles with no problem. It will hold me until we have the opportunity to get them as Accordance modules.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm definitely interested. Logos seems to get these things quicker than we do. Not sure why:

http://www.logos.com/icc

They also already have the Anchor Bible commentaries available, and NICOT/NICNT are in pre-pub:

http://www.logos.com/products/details/4469

http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5184

I have not used Logos, so I wouldn't know the quality of their products. Do they put out sloppier copies of these series or something just to be the first to publish (

I'm definitely interested. Logos seems to get these things quicker than we do. Not sure why:

I have not used Logos, so I wouldn't know the quality of their products. Do they put out sloppier copies of these series or something just to be the first to publish (

Matthew and Jack, First, let's dispel the impression that Logos gets every available resource and/or gets them faster than Accordance does. It's simply not true. Zondervan resources like NIDNTT, NIDOTTE, EBC, etc. have been available in Accordance for years and are still not available in Logos. The New International Biblical Commentary has likewise been available for years and is now included in the Library Premier level. Logos still has it in pre-pub.

Then there are the numerous scholarly resources which are only available in Accordance, or which are tagged in Accordance and untagged in Logos, or which are released as is for Logos and significantly improved before we release them for Accordance. Qumran scholars have been happily using our Biblical manuscripts module for a couple years now, while Logos' announced edition is still under development.

Then, of course, there are all the graphical resources such as our Atlas, Timeline, and PhotoGuide.

Now, that said, there are plenty of examples where Logos has released resources which Accordance users have had to wait for. Why is that?

There are a number of reasons. In the early years, many publishers would license to Logos for Windows and then secondarily license to us for the Mac. Back then, however, we often had to work hard to convince publishers that the Mac was even worth considering. Thankfully, that's no longer much of an issue. Yet even now, Windows' larger market share still means that publishers will often license to a Windows developer first.

Logos' size certainly enables them to get some modules out the door faster than we can, especially when a publisher does not have an e-text. Some publishers have Logos do the e-texting for them, yet they are careful to retain ownership of the e-text. In such cases, we are usually able to license and release those materials. A few publishers are not careful to retain the rights to the e-text, and in such cases, we are usually left with the choice of producing our own e-text or doing without those materials. Obviously, in those latter cases, we have to be convinced that it is worth it for us to reinvent the wheel.

Finally, in many cases the amount of time required for us to get some of these materials is not so great as it seems, since Logos places materials in prepub well in advance of their release, while we tend to announce products only when they are close to completion.

With respect to specific products like the ICC commentaries, I'm not privy to the current state of the negotiations, so I can't tell you how likely we are to get them. I can tell you that our reputation with publishers is extremely good, and that we are having more success than ever before at landing most of the major reference materials currently being released.

Archived