Search Help

Brett K.

Forgive me if this too basic, but I haven't used Accordance search for much more than single word or phrase searches in English.

How can I find every place a particular Greek word is not translated to a certain English word? For example, how can I find every occurrence where "anthropos" is not translated to "man" in the ESV (or some other masculine form)?

Then to make it more complicated, how can I find the occurrences only where two translations differ? For example, how could I find every occurrence where "anthropos" is translated as "man" in the NASB but not the ESV?

Thanks

You can search for the Strong's number and exclude the word man like this: [KEY G0444] <NOT> man

You might like to add the word men to this search like this: [KEY G0444] <NOT> (man, men)

Then to make it more complicated, how can I find the occurrences only where two translations differ? For example, how could I find every occurrence where "anthropos" is translated as "man" in the NASB but not the ESV?

This can be accomplished using the LINK command and the CONTENTS command:

Tab 1 -- Word search with NAS95S and this argument -- [KEY G0444] @ (man , men, man's, mankind)

Tab2 -- Word search with ESVS and this argument -- [LINK NAS95S]

Tab 3 -- Word search with this argument -- [CONTENTS NAS95S] <NOT> [CONTENTS ESVS]

Andy:

You are close, but not quite there.

The first search should be [KEY G0444] @ (man, men)

the "at" sign finds the word where is is tagged with this key number.

To find where this key number tags a different word use [KEY G0444]@-(man, men)

where the hyphen indicates that the key number is not attached to this word.

To find where ESV does not use man but NASB does, do the first search in NASB, then in the ESV do:

[CONTENTS NAS95S] [KEY G0444]@-(man, men)

I think that will get it, but I didn't check it out.

Archived