When I lauch Accodance I get this. "An attempt to read or save data beyond the end of the file "General" has failed.

John335

This is the message I get when I Iaunch Accordance. What can I do about this? I'm running Accordance version 8.4.2 w/ Mac OS X 10.5.8. Thanks

The file may be corrupt. You can try replacing it with a backup or simply renaming it so Accordance creates a new one.

In case you or anyone else needs to know where this file is, it's located in ~/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences (where ~ is your home directory).

• 2 years later...

Hi Guys, I'm currently having a similar problem but don't have my old backups with me where I am so I am going to need some help.

When I clicked on a passage to highlight it, accordance crashed. I got the crash report and clicked reopen. Then a box popped up with the message "An attempt to read or save data beyond the end of the file 'My highlights.hlt' has failed".

Now every time I try to open accordance I simply get this message...

I'm GMT +2 right now and really need to get this solved so I'm hoping someone on this side of the world is up and at it!

Thanks... David

PS- I don't yet have mountain lion and I'm running the most current version of Accordance (9.6.4)

Edited by D. C. Foster

I suggest you go to your user/Documents/Accordance Files and rename the Highlights folder. See if that fixes it. If not you can email or message me your contact information, preferably Skype or iChat, and I can take a look.

Thanks Helen, it worked... but now I've lost all my highlights, both the ones I defined in the highlights box and the ones in the text itself. Just wondering what I should do to get them back? Thanks...

You can put the files back one by one, restart Accordance, and see which one caused the crash.

Sorry Helen, which files do I put back? And where do I put them back? I changed the name of the highlights folder but didn't delete anything. As for the files inside the folder, I only saw 3 files in my highlights folder, 1 is the main 'highlights', the other 2 are 'mistake' highlights had created a long time ago when I was just starting out...

I put the main one back into the new file that I renamed (there are now two highlights folders)... the first time I clicked on accordance it came up with the message and quit but then the second time it worked perfect? Highlights are all back and no crashes yet. Should I do something to prevent this from happening in the future or is this a one time glitch?

Thanks again for your time,

David

You can remove the old folder now. Accordance is now able to repair corrupt Highlight files so I suspect that's what it did. You should keep a backup of the file, though, if you have invested a lot of time in it.