Multiple column flow view

Sean R.

Whenever I want to have an overview of a sizable portion of Scripture, I pull out a print Bible; I just am not able to easily view more than 4-5 verses at one time with Accordance without scrolling. I would like to see a view option to have one passage flow over several columns

post-14003-1233768485_thumb.jpg

I like your idea. How did you set up your 'mock up'?

I like your idea. How did you set up your 'mock up'?

I combined three screenshots. As I don't have a graphics editing program on my computer, I used Keynote.

I agree that this would be a beneficial feature to add.

It's possible to get this screen without combining screenshots. If you select a pane, and then hold down the control key while clicking the scroll arrows, it will only scroll the selected pane. Using this feature, you could have three parallel panes all showing different texts in one tab. I know this isn't exactly the solution you're requesting, but it is a way to approximate it.

Just wanted to let you all know that this thread and Robb's workaround inspired a post on the Accordance blog. If you're wanting to know how to do what Robb is suggesting, check out this post.

Thanks Robb for your suggestion! While I knew one could untie scrolling with multiple panes, I didn't think of doing so in this instance. I still would like to see my suggestion incorporated as a feature in the future, but your suggestion will work splendidly.

Thanks!

David,

When I first saw Sean's post, I was convinced that he was on to something. I frequently open a window just for reading and the multi-pane metaphor is much easier on the eyes. Some of the PDF viewers are embracing this approach (i.e. Skim). Now I know that you and Roy are a couple of whiz-bang programmers, so how much code and effort would it be to have a tab that could be set only to multi-pane viewing without the fuss of the workaround? Maybe a feature for 8.2 or 8.3?

Best regards,

Ron

When I first saw Sean's post, I was convinced that he was on to something. I frequently open a window just for reading and the multi-pane metaphor is much easier on the eyes.

Not to rain on the parade, unless I am missing something, I would have to say programming time and effort should be spent on other things. David has already said this will be no easy task (in his blog). The same amount of text can be viewed easily in a single pane layout (with verse breaks for an even easier read). I am not sure I agree with the subjective statement that "multi-pane" setup is much easier on the eyes.

My vote: save your programming hours for more significant work.

Tom

I am not sure I agree with the subjective statement that "multi-pane" setup is much easier on the eyes.

Nearly every newspaper and magazine in print today use multiple columns for this very reason. You have the right to disagree, but it's not as subjective as you suggest. Besides, I'm certain you'll agree with me when you get to be my age ;)

Regards,

Ron

For an elegant reading experience of an exported text (or even PDF), I recommend the very nice Tofu reader app!

For an elegant reading experience of an exported text (or even PDF), I recommend the very nice Tofu reader app!

Thanks for the recommendation, J.P. Tofu is an excellent reader for PDF files. It divides the document into more readable columns and even "lets you navigate using your voice, so you can literally sit back and read." Now that would be a great feature for an upcoming Accordance update ;)

Best regards,

Ron

I think this a good idea with the multiple columns. Thanks for providing the tip on how we can do it with Accordance now.

Archived