Search help

jjhayes84

I'm having trouble with a search and have read the documentation over and over again. Is there a way to find all words that occurr between 1-30 times in the NT within Philipians 2-3? I've tried "[count 1-30] <and> [range phil 2-3]" but that gives words that occurr 1-30 times in that range. I've tried some other things, but to no avail. Does anyone have a way to do this?

What you want to do requires two searches. I will assume you are using tabs (if not, substitute the word window for tab below!).

Since [COUNT] by definition returns results for the search range, and you are interested in occurrences in the entire NT, you first need to do a [COUNT 1-30] search, on the range of [All text]. Let's say this search result tab's title is GNT-T (which can be renamed, of course).

To extract just the words that occur in Phil 2-3, then, open a new tab with your NT module (GNT-T?), and enter the following command using

[HITS GNT-T] <AND> [RANGE phil 2-3]

What this basically does is take all the resulting words (as opposed to the list of verses, which is CONTENTS) from the first search and filters only the ones that fall in the desired range.

Finally, click the Details button in this second tab, and click the Analysis tab to see a list of the actual forms (note, however, that the hit counts in this listing will only be for the range). You can modify the way this list appears by going to Display > Set Analysis Display.... To see exactly how many times an individual item occurs in the NT, you could double click the Greek word and amplify to your GNT.

p.s. if, after setting up these two tabs, your first search above were modified to [COUNT 1], the Analysis tab should update to show all hapax occurring in Phil 2-3.

Actually I think you will get the same result if you create a range in the Range dialog, and simply search for [COUNT 1-30] within that range. This is the one instance where the defined range gives a different result from the temporary RANGE command: a serependitious discovery whioch we decided to leave for its occasional usefulness.

Actually I think you will get the same result if you create a range in the Range dialog, and simply search for [COUNT 1-30] within that range. This is the one instance where the defined range gives a different result from the temporary RANGE command: a serependitious discovery whioch we decided to leave for its occasional usefulness.

That doesn't seem to be correct, since you get different results: [COUNT 1-30] on a defined range of Phil 2-3 returns 636 words (everything except the article and conjunction), whereas the method above yields 163 words. Or I've misunderstood what you mean.

Archived