Comparing two searches to get the differences between them

snw1969

I'm trying to get a list of verses between two different searches. The first search is finding all the instances of witnesses and witnessed in the New Testament

(witnesses, witnessed) <AND> [RANGE "New Testament"]

and the second search is finding all the instances of martyr (μαρτυσ) in the GNT-T.

The first search brings back 26 hits (NAS95S) and the GNT gets 35 hits. I'd like to combine the searches so that I can get the difference between them so that I end up with a list of verses from one search that are not in the other search.

Any suggestions?

I think there's a way to use either the HITS or the CONTENTS commands to do this. I don't use either with regularity, so you will need to look them up in the help or wait for someone else to chime in.

On the other hand, it looks like you want to see where witness is used when it is not translating μαρτυσ, and vice-versa.

To get the first, in a Strong's tagged text, try this search:

witness*@-[KEY G3144]

To get the second, try this:

[KEY G3144] @-witness*

You can also search for the key number or the English word, and then choose "Analysis" from the details/graphs button.

I thought your aim might be as Lorinda states above but I wondered just the same if what you requested could be done. Its tricky because you are using a Greek and an English text tab and "never the twain shall meet" more or less. Well I found a way. You do the searches you describe and create reference lists for each result. Then open a new text tab and use the references lists to control which verses that tab finds. The bottom left tab has the final result in it.

post-32023-0-42504900-1403927437_thumb.jpg

Thx

D

The CONTENTS command will compare the two lists of verses directly from the search tabs, no need to move the verses to reference lists:

[CONTENTS GNT28-T] [CONTENTS NAS95S]

Ah cool - thanx for that Helen. That simplifies things.

D

Hi Helen - thanks so much for that (and thanks everyone else for chiming in). Where do I run this command at? Do I need to open up an addition tab?

Yes, in a new text tab/pane/zone. For example:

post-407-0-47621900-1403975258_thumb.png

Note that I had to change the texts used from those in Helen's example, as I don't (yet) have either the GNT28-T or the NAS95S.

Lorinda