Desired Map Features

Lawson Stone

Some features I would really like in the already incredibly good map module:

1. Elevation/contour lines option, either traditional topo lines, selectable increments

2. Ability to export high-res images, 600 dpi for publication, for example (maybe already does this, can't find it in the manual)

3. Control over shading for monochrome options

4. Ability to edit or move built in labels which sometimes get in the way

5. A "fly through" option with 3D maps--pick an altitude above the deck and fly through, with changes in all 3 axes (Pitch, yaw, roll) reflected, simulating aircraft movement

6. A large, detailed Jerusalem module devoted to the history of the city through time

This is already wonderful module, brilliantly executed, stunningly inexpensive, and imminently useful.

I'll second all the above.

The would make a great module a really killer module!

I would add a couple more features:

*Selection handles on the selection box so that if I select a portion of a map, I can drag handles to improve it rather than re-do it every time

*More specific geographical names like Wadi Far'a, etc.

*Names of major highways per. a standard source like Dorsey--in fact, Dorsey's book would make a fabulous "route layer" to add to the map module

*Ability to format/move existing labels. Sometimes the Geography labels are too big, or crowd other labels

That's the thing about a great module--it inspires you to want more!

While we're at it, I'll add two more:

The abilility to share user layers with other users. This would open up all kinds of possibilities for expansion of the module-both free and commercial.

Second, the ability to export an animated map as a quicktime file so that it can be used in presentations. I know I could teach my tech guys how to use accordance for use in sermons but it doesn't look near as good as a quicktime file!

The abilility to share user layers with other users. This would open up all kinds of possibilities for expansion of the module-both free and commercial.

+1 I'd love to see a way to share user layers similar to how highlights can now be shared. I realize, though, that this would mean significantly reworking how the user layers are stored.

Lorinda

• 3 weeks later...

IN general, what I would love right now is more control over display--moving labels, moving sites (if scholars disagree!), easier drawing/creating custom maps, and export options at 600 dpi TIFF for publishers. It might be that I'm expecting too much, but I would love to be able to create detailed custom maps for publication.

Here's an interface suggestion for the map module: rework the find feature. Instead of clicking a find button to open a dialog window in order to perform a search, I would like to see a search field built into the interface, always accessible from the main window of the map module

post-14003-1234959717_thumb.jpg

Here's an interface suggestion for the map module: rework the find feature. Instead of clicking a find button to open a dialog window in order to perform a search, I would like to see a search field built into the interface, always accessible from the main window of the map module—much like the search field for texts, tools, etc. If a search criteria is entered that doesn't match any items in the map module database, then a dialog box would pop up (as currently happens when searching for a word that doesn't exist in a particular text or tool) with available options to choose from.

A simple, not necessary suggestion—but one that would make, in my opinion, the map module more elegant and bring it more in line with the general Accordance interface.

Here's a mock up of what I have in mind:

Great idea, Sean, I'd vote for it! [Of course, I don't have to worry about the hassles of programing it either... ;)]

Archived