OSX Yosemite

Abram K-J

It looks pretty cool. Being able to text from a computer (and take phone calls to an iPhone) will be nice... and Spotlight looks much better.

Ah, but those silly flat app icons! Looking forward to when Apple regards that design trend as passé, which IMHO it already is....To each his/her own, I guess.

New font throughout the system, too--that seemed interesting. I'm sure we'll all get used to it as a cleaner look. I am up for the change.

Also, it looks like you can at last get to iCloud files via the Finder now, once Yosemite releases.

Edited by Abram K-J

I'm glad they are going to finally get around to replacing iDisk with iDrive. It's about time. Although I use OneDrive a lot, it doesn't work well with iWork files. But if iDrive works well, I'll move away from OneDrive.

I'm hopeful that an AppleSeed invite will be sent out today for Yosimte. However, I do have an iOS developer's membership, so I've just begun installing it.

Of course, I won't be able to talk about it :-)

• Like 1

I'd love to hear about some of the features you're not going to mention! :)

It's hard for me to get real excited about cosmetic changes. I like the [very few] features they have mentioned, but it sounds more like a dot-update than an ungraded system. We probably won't be paying for it, so it's hard to complain, but still... I'd like to see something more earth shattering.

Well, it will be free, but I think we must've watched different presentations, Tim. I was very impressed. iCloud Drive (which should have been there all along), Phone Calls, SMS, Handoff, new ways to work with Spotlight--all this seems like more than cosmetic changes to me :-)

Yosemite is downloading now.

• Like 2

Well, since OS X has been dot upgrading since 2001, one wonders what seismic change it would take to release OS XI.

• Like 1

From a numerical perspective, doesn't 10.10 = 11 :-)

Gruber had a fun rant about 10.10 is not same as 11. He's right.

I think this is an impressive list of increments. All the handoff stuff is a great improvement. I' STOKED about the dial-on-my-mac-and-my-phone-will-handle-the-call new feature. I'm everyday looking at a number on my computer and then dialing it on my phone. I'm interested in what API access there will be for that, cause Data Detectors is still in limited scopes on osx.

I'm thrilled DuckDuckGo is a new search engine option, too.

Rick, I didn't know you were a Mac/iOS programmer or developer. What do you work on?

Edited by Joe Weaks

Well, since OS X has been dot upgrading since 2001, one wonders what seismic change it would take to release OS XI.

Wow--has it really been that long? I do like that the recent incremental upgrades have been/will be free.

... iCloud Drive (which should have been there all along)....

No kidding! Sometimes I wonder if Apple just waits and watches to see what third-party apps will do and what works (better), and then follows others' lead.

There was a lot of interesting things covered this morning. Not sure about the changes in the look, while I'm sure they'll have done a good job, I think that with Mavericks Apple finally got a consistent UI throughout the operating system. It is nice how they are trying to make Macs and iOS devices work more smoothly together. And a new programming language: maybe I'll have to get back into learning programming again.

Gruber had a fun rant about 10.10 is not same as 11. He's right.

Rick, I didn't know you were a Mac/iOS programmer or developer. What do you work on?

Yes, I know 10.10 is not the same as 11 (at least in this case)--I was just making a joke. I don't think there will ever be an OS XI. They like the X by itself because it's a reference to UNIX. If the Mac is around long enough to make as significant OS jump as Classic was to OS X, then it will be called something totally unrelated.

As for programming, I do have an iOS developer account. I haven't used it yet other than to get advance copies of iOS. But I do have a couple of app ideas that roll around in my head. I haven't ever really had time to pursue any of it, but if I ever do, I'll be ready.

Well, it will be free, but I think we must've watched different presentations, Tim. I was very impressed. iCloud Drive (which should have been there all along), Phone Calls, SMS, Handoff, new ways to work with Spotlight--all this seems like more than cosmetic changes to me :-)

Yosemite is downloading now.

Let us know - through coded language - if Accordance works ;-) A friend who's not me says that several of his apps don't work but the main ones do. I'd like to know about Scrivener before I download it since most of my dissertation prospectus is on it.

iOS 8 is slightly crashy, as you'd expect, but pretty nice.

I know, I know, main devices and all that, but I installed 7 and Mavericks on the first day and didn't have much trouble.

Edited by Matthew Johnson
  • Like 1

Okay, here is coded language:

.enif tsuj skrow ecnadroccA ,raf oS

• Like 6

Is "mirror image typing" a new Yosemite feature? :)

Glad to hear it--I was wondering about Accordance in the new OSX.

Rick, since you bought a dev plan for iOS, I thought maybe you had an app out there I hadn't heard about, maybe an app that pops up a location-aware map with pins for all the places around you that sell tabasco sauce, with brand icons.

Maybe we need an algorithm app to break your code. :) (and yes, we knew you were joking on 10.10)

We watched the keynote here, and thought the improvements both significant and very welcome. I will really love being able to start something on one device and finish it on another. Being able to easily get to an older email while composing a new one will also be very useful. Spotlight greatly improved, too. All in all, looks good to us. And being able to create a hotspot with an iPhone very welcome, also. And frankly, incremental improvements are an easier adjustment than earth-shattering transformations!

Here's a Yosemite idea for Accordance. Per the Apple website, Handoff can be added to non-Apple apps.

Now granted, you wouldn't be able to match multiple windows and zones from the desktop version of Accordance to the iOS version. But what if you could do that with a selected pane--that is, one selected title?

What if you're reading a reference work and want perhaps to move from the Mac to your iPad to so sit in a comfortable chair and read a particular title for an extended time? Or what if you're reading on an iPad and suddenly want to involve more of your resources to your study than what the iOS app currently allows?

You could "Handoff" the title you're reading between devices.

You know, I've done this manually many times. I've gone from one device to the other based on what I wanted or needed to do. Handoff would simply make the process much easier.
  • Like 3

Your 'selected pane' suggestion I think would be the right solution, Rick.

Would open a new tab in desktop Accordance, or switch the window in iOS Accordance.

Assuming arbitrary highlighting is in place at that point, I'd definitely make use of such a Handoff feature.

We are working on arbitrary text selection now and highlighting is a part of that. I'm guessing it will be available by the time iOS 8 comes out. [That's just a guess, though, so don't hold me to it.]

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Accordance works fine so far in Yosemite. I've not run into any problems.

• Like 1

Accordance works fine so far in Yosemite. I've not run into any problems.

Rick, any programs that broke or significantly interrupted normal workflow?

Frank

• Like 1

I don't know what may be breaking NDA to say, but I think it's been widely reported that some of Apple's own apps, including Preview, Final Cut Pro, and iMovie do not work. Quicken Essentials for the Mac and Microsoft Outlook 2011 for the Mac are broken. Logos is displaying some texts with missing words.