For those who have hard time remembering shortcuts - Cheatsheet app for Mac

Martin Z

Hello All,

I just want to recommend you an amazingly useful app: Cheatsheet. Here is the download page.

Just press ⌘ for 3 second (you may customize the time), a complete shortcuts will pop up for any current app you are using on your Mac.

For Accordance, here is a picture of how it looks like.

post-32138-0-87856800-1416243370_thumb.png

BTW, it is a free app!

(I think maybe it is better to be posted in Accordance Tips session. However, I do not have authorization to do so.)

• Like 1

Hey Martin,

I could use your help. I downloaded this thinking it was one thing; but it's turned out to be another.

I can't remove it. Won't let me delete, says its running.

I've tried everything I know.

Would you please tell me how to delete this.

I don't want it on my computer.

Thank you,

Scott

Hey Martin,

I could use your help. I downloaded this thinking it was one thing; but it's turned out to be another.

I can't remove it. Won't let me delete, says its running.

I've tried everything I know.

Would you please tell me how to delete this.

I don't want it on my computer.

Thank you,

Scott

Hi Stott,

I'm very sorry about that.

I personally love it a lot so far.

I haven't tried to uninstall it.

Have you tried this:

1. hold the ⌘ for 3 seconds until the shortcut cheatsheet pop up

2. continue to hold the ⌘, click the gear at the right bottom corner.

3. click "quit."

post-32138-0-55080700-1416252533_thumb.png

Then try again to delete it.

Hello Martin

Thanks I have heard of them one year before, but they sad it's on the AppStore and so I didn't find it. But you have remember me on that again. So i will install it:-)

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Hello Marting

Thanks I have heard of them one year before, but they sad it's on the AppStore and so I didn't find it. But you have remember me on that again. So i will install it:-)

Greetings

Fabian

Hi Fabian,

I'm glad that you like it. :)

Blessings,
Martin

Hi Stott,

I'm very sorry about that.

I personally love it a lot so far.

I haven't tried to uninstall it.

Have you tried this:

1. hold the ⌘ for 3 seconds until the shortcut cheatsheet pop up

2. continue to hold the ⌘, click the gear at the right bottom corner.

3. click "quit."

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-11-17 14.25.09.png

Then try again to delete it.

Martin,

No worries.

I clicked the download and it seemed to install automatically. Buy the time I figured out what was going on, I thought I knew what to do.

I'm ignorant, that's all. I don't know what I don't know. I just learned that I don't know how to uninstall an app on Mac in my usual two ways.

I'm sure this won't be the last time, so whatever I learn this go around will help in the future.

Either way, I'll figure out how.

Thanks,

Scott

Generally on a Mac all you need to do is open our Applications folder and drag the app you want to delete to the trash. For a small app like this that should cover everything. Some apps tend to instal some cruft in user folders. An App like TrashMe (available in the App Store) does a good job finding any left over files and cleaning them up.

For apps bought through the App Store. open Launch pad and click and hold on the icon for the app you want to delete. It will start to jiggle and an X will appear in the top corner. Click it and OS X will look after everything for you.

For the record CheatSheet used to be in the App Store but it seems to have been removed.

Generally on a Mac all you need to do is open our Applications folder and drag the app you want to delete to the trash. For a small app like this that should cover everything. Some apps tend to instal some cruft in user folders. An App like TrashMe (available in the App Store) does a good job finding any left over files and cleaning them up.

For apps bought through the App Store. open Launch pad and click and hold on the icon for the app you want to delete. It will start to jiggle and an X will appear in the top corner. Click it and OS X will look after everything for you.

For the record CheatSheet used to be in the App Store but it seems to have been removed.

Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time. I did try those, more than once, shutting down, rebooting and doing the hokey pokey.

I tried CCleaner.

I've been googling around.

I've had to make an adjustment in the Security & Privacy of my System Preferences.

Sooner or later I'll get this figured out. Once learned, I'm sure I apply it again some time.

In the meanwhile, it's not a curse to have access to the shortcuts.

I just like being able to delete a program, that's all.

Scott

Jeremy,

Thanks for taking the time. I did try those, more than once, shutting down, rebooting and doing the hokey pokey.

I tried CCleaner.

I've been googling around.

I've had to make an adjustment in the Security & Privacy of my System Preferences.

Sooner or later I'll get this figured out. Once learned, I'm sure I apply it again some time.

In the meanwhile, it's not a curse to have access to the shortcuts.

I just like being able to delete a program, that's all.

Scott

From what you described, it seems that the only reason is the app was still running while you were trying to remove it.

In this case, it is not easy to find out how quit the app.

There is no icon in the manu bar, neither in the Dock. It does not even appear in the "Force Quit App" window.

I've never seen an app acts in such way.

I was lucky that I happened to notice the gear in the right bottom corner.

From what you described, it seems that the only reason is the app was still running while you were trying to remove it.

In this case, it is not easy to find out how quit the app.

There is no icon in the manu bar, neither in the Dock. It does not even appear in the "Force Quit App" window.

I've never seen an app acts in such way.

I was lucky that I happened to notice the gear in the right bottom corner.

Martin,

Thanks for posting.

It's a mild annoyance, that's all.

FWIW, It doesn't show up in the my app folder either.

I'm sure there's a way solve this; I google away at it. I know a couple of tech Sherlocks, I'll pay them off in Chipotle to clue me in.

But like I said above; in the mean time, the app is working and there's not enough memory in my head drive to know all these shortcuts.

It's all good!,

Scott

There'll be an OS process running somewhere. This is apparently a known issue and another list says use the Activity Monitor, find the thing there and quit out that way. Then it should delete. Personally I'd use Terminal and ps and kill, but if you're not use to that it's harder.

Thx
D

I believe this what you need to do.

First, go to System preferences>Security & Privacy and select Accessibility. Then, Turn off CheatSheet by unchecking.

Reboot your computer.

Go to the app folder and trash the app.

It should work.

Martin, thanks for sharing. I have been looking for an app like that.

Edited by davidmedina

There'll be an OS process running somewhere. This is apparently a known issue and another list says use the Activity Monitor, find the thing there and quit out that way. Then it should delete. Personally I'd use Terminal and ps and kill, but if you're not use to that it's harder.

Thx

D

Daniel,

Thanks for the advice. I did find it in the Activity Monitor. Turned CheatSheet; but still no luck on the deleting.

I'm not tech savvy to understand what you meant by Terminal and ps and kill.

The Activity Monitor approach is something I'll be able to use again later on, I'm sure.

Scott

I believe this what you need to do.

First, go to System preferences>Security & Privacy and select Accessibility. Then, Turn off CheatSheet by unchecking.

Reboot your computer.

Go to the app folder and trash the app.

It should work.

Martin, thanks for sharing. I have been looking for an app like that.

David,

I did try that yesterday. The only reason I turned it on in the first place was to see if it would make a difference. Nope.

Thanks,

Scott

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Martin,

I did shut the app down from the gear icon, just as you suggested.

No luck in deleting..

Thanks for the advice,

Scott

Edited by Scott Saunders

Hey Scott,

Let me run up a step by step for you this evening. I am not at my Mac right now.

Thx

D

Martin,

I did shut the app down from the gear icon, just as you suggested.

No luck in deleting..

Thanks for the advice,

Scott

Hi Scott,

I just tried myself.

After downloading, the app appears in my Download folder. I moved it to my application folder for my own convenience. (That was my installation)

I shut the app down from the gear icon. (after that, I noticed that it is not in the activity monitor window anymore.)

Then I run AppCleaner which I usually use for deleting apps, find the Cheatsheet. AppCleaner finds 4 items.

post-32138-0-26802800-1416359093_thumb.png

Then I click "delete."

Done.

Cheatsheet disappears from the launchpad.

I don't know why it did not work for you.

Is this a Sorcerer's Apprentice app?

Someone needs to invent an "I Am The Boss" computer; or a program -- but can you kill the I Am The Boss?

It may be the MCP from Tron.

Hi Scott,

Ok I had a quick go at installing it and running and then removing it. It doesn't clean up after itself on moving to trash but given the AppCleaner output above its easy to find the stuff it leaves lying around. But that said it was easy to stop and remove. So I am wondering what is going on in your case. I doubt that Activity Monitor is required but you can certainly do it that way. So in order to remove it start the Activity Monitor and you can search for CheatSheet by typing cheat into the search box. Select the process and then click on the x button on the top left.

post-32023-0-81353700-1416366465_thumb.jpg

You'll get a dialog about quit or force quit. Quit was enough for me. In a moment it should no longer be visible. At that point navigate in the Finder to whereever you have CheatSheet installed and right click and select "move to trash". Then you should be able to remove the other files identified above in Martin's AppCleaner output.

By the way, to navigate to the files under your home directory Library folder you will have to hold down the option key in the Finder so that you can see hidden directories, as the Library folder is both annoyingly and customarily hidden.

Thx

D

Is this a Sorcerer's Apprentice app?

Someone needs to invent an "I Am The Boss" computer; or a program -- but can you kill the I Am The Boss?

It may be the MCP from Tron.

It's a vampire barnacle. I put on a garlic kilt and marched around it seven times playing a silver bag pipe. Didn't budge.

Edited by Scott Saunders

Hi Scott,

Ok I had a quick go at installing it and running and then removing it. It doesn't clean up after itself on moving to trash but given the AppCleaner output above its easy to find the stuff it leaves lying around. But that said it was easy to stop and remove. So I am wondering what is going on in your case. I doubt that Activity Monitor is required but you can certainly do it that way. So in order to remove it start the Activity Monitor and you can search for CheatSheet by typing cheat into the search box. Select the process and then click on the x button on the top left.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifactivityMonitor.jpg

You'll get a dialog about quit or force quit. Quit was enough for me. In a moment it should no longer be visible. At that point navigate in the Finder to whereever you have CheatSheet installed and right click and select "move to trash". Then you should be able to remove the other files identified above in Martin's AppCleaner output.

By the way, to navigate to the files under your home directory Library folder you will have to hold down the option key in the Finder so that you can see hidden directories, as the Library folder is both annoyingly and customarily hidden.

Thx

D

Daniel,

You RAWK! I'm going to try this again, following what you posted—picture included.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I just tried myself.

After downloading, the app appears in my Download folder. I moved it to my application folder for my own convenience. (That was my installation)

I shut the app down from the gear icon. (after that, I noticed that it is not in the activity monitor window anymore.)

Then I run AppCleaner which I usually use for deleting apps, find the Cheatsheet. AppCleaner finds 4 items.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreenshot 2014-11-18 20.02.06.png

Then I click "delete."

Done.

Cheatsheet disappears from the launchpad.

I don't know why it did not work for you.

Martin,

Thanks. Missed this part about the App Cleaner. This is what Daniel was referring to.

Thanks again,

Scott

Brothers Martin and Daniel,

Twixt the two posts above, the app is now gone.

Also, I learned a ton of new stuff about my MBP.

Thank you both.

Do we have IM'ing or PM'ing in this forum? You need to send me your address so I can snail mail you a Chipotle gift card.

Thanks again!,

Scott

PS I had to watch this video more times than I have fingers to get Pop Tarts down.

[PPS — It's Brian Regan, so not blue or any other color of inappropriate humor]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEzSKP4Rg5w

Edited by Scott Saunders

Hi Scott, there is a PM facility. If you click on the persons image it will take you to their profile page, and once there, you will see a button for “send me a message” on the right hand side.

Do we have IM'ing or PM'ing in this forum? You need to send me your address so I can snail mail you a Chipotle gift card.

Very kind Scott. No need though. Just glad it worked.

Thx

D

Brothers Martin and Daniel,

Twixt the two posts above, the app is now gone.

Also, I learned a ton of new stuff about my MBP.

Thank you both.

Thanks again!,

Scott

PS I had to watch this video more times than I have fingers to get Pop Tarts down.

[PPS — It's Brian Regan, so not blue or any other color of inappropriate humor]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEzSKP4Rg5w

It's very kind of you, Scott. I appreciate that. However, as Daniel said, no need though~

Glad I did not cause you too much trouble. :rolleyes:

Blessings,

Martin

Very kind Scott. No need though. Just glad it worked.

Thx

D

Very kind and gracious.

Thanks,

Scott