Best way to copy verse or range of verses to clipboard

EricC

Say I've got several Bible modules up in parallel, and I want to copy a verse or range of verses from one of them to the clipboard. I know I can use Cmd - Opt - A and put in the reference and copy, but if I'm already at that location, that seems labor intensive. I thought maybe right click or two-finger click to bring up the context menu would do it, but "Copy" there seems only to apply if you've selected something.

Click into that text that you've just found... hit Command A to select all and then Command C to copy and then Command Tab to switch to the app you're wanting to paste.

If this is something you do aLOT, you could install an automated Service that did this.

Hi, Joe,

Yes, that will work, but Cmd-A selects everything. What I'd like is a way to, say, right click and select "Copy Verse" if I only want one, or "Copy from [inserted currently selected verse #] to …" and let me choose down to what verse I want to select.

I have the services installed, but that seems to be working backwards for me. I'm in Accordance and find verses I want to use and insert them into a word processor. The way the services work (as I understand it), is that I'm in the word processor and already know what I want, so I type in the reference there, and Accordance fetches the text for me. That's fine, but a rarer situation, I think.

Correctly, the Services are designed for when you have another app in the front. That's not what you want. I understood you to be saying you wanted to copy/paste the results of a specific search you have showing.

However, what you're wanting, is, say your Search Window is showing all of John 11 and then you are scrolling through and then find a single verse you want to copy and paste. Is that correct?

The only way to do that in Accordance is to highlight the selective text you want, and then work from there.

However, what you're wanting, is, say your Search Window is showing all of John 11 and then you are scrolling through and then find a single verse you want to copy and paste. Is that correct?

The only way to do that in Accordance is to highlight the selective text you want, and then work from there.

Yes, that's what I'd like. Wow, I find it hard to believe that in Accordance there is not a simpler way to get a verse or range of them to the clipboard. What I'd like is a context menu that would allow the copying of one verse or a range starting with the one in focus. Here's an example from another Bible software program (when one right clicks anywhere in the verse):

post-3736-0-22676600-1419102612_thumb.jpg

Does anyone else like that idea, or is it just me? (I have a feeling some Accordance power users somehow accomplish the same thing (or something similar) in some other way, so I'll be waiting to see what others suggest also.)

• Like 1

Click the beginning of the first verse. Shift-click the end of the last verse. Copy. For me, that's a lot easier than navigating a submenu for a particular number.

You can also collect verses into a reference list before copying. Click anywhere in the first verse. Shift-click anywhere in the last verse. Ctrl-Cmd-R to copy these to a reference list. You can continue adding more verses the same way. Then select all in the list and copy.

@EricC : I can see the utility of it Eric but it hasn't bothered me much one way or the other the way it is. I don't cut and paste all that frequently I suppose. But yes such a think would be handy. I do cut and paste chunks for translation and that is a set of contiguous verses so that would be a little faster.

Thx

D

I think that contextual menu "Copy current verse through…" interface quite bad.

There is no equivalent to it in Accordance (I'm pretty qualified as a power user, so can vouch for it. :)

If you can right click a verse, seems to me dragging across the verse(s) and then Copy, is not materially different.

Click the beginning of the first verse. Shift-click the end of the last verse. Copy. For me, that's a lot easier than navigating a submenu for a particular number.

You can also collect verses into a reference list before copying. Click anywhere in the first verse. Shift-click anywhere in the last verse. Ctrl-Cmd-R to copy these to a reference list. You can continue adding more verses the same way. Then select all in the list and copy.

Precisely! Thanks, Darin. That is probably a workable alternative to what I wanted to do another way. Thanks for mentioning it.

• 10 months later...

Yes, that's what I'd like. Wow, I find it hard to believe that in Accordance there is not a simpler way to get a verse or range of them to the clipboard. What I'd like is a context menu that would allow the copying of one verse or a range starting with the one in focus. Here's an example from another Bible software program (when one right clicks anywhere in the verse):

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifExample-Context menu (Right click) to copy verse or range.jpg

Does anyone else like that idea, or is it just me? (I have a feeling some Accordance power users somehow accomplish the same thing (or something similar) in some other way, so I'll be waiting to see what others suggest also.)

Yes, I like that idea, but that is probably because I also was accustomed to using that same program you used in your screenshot.  

I guess Darin Franklin's Copy+Shift-Click method will have to work.  But, thanks for asking the exact question that I came here to ask!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Revisiting this topic with an added requirement.

The CTRL+ALT-A option works well if you want it formatted the way it defaults. The only user option is whether or not to copy as citation.

But what if I want to copy long sections (up to the max) as No Superscript? It appears my only option is to drag select the text. Is this correct, or is there a more efficient way? If I want to copy Romans chapters 1 through 5, I currently place the cursor at Rom 1:1, then left-click and hold while dragging until I reach the end of chapter 5. Then I right click on the selection and choose the Copy As > No Superscript option. Then I paste it into Word.

Is there a better way?

unless I misunderstand your question, here is how I copy Romans 1-5 with no superscript -- Romans 1-5 in the search box, then click any word in the found text, command-a, selects entire Rom 1-5, then right click, copy as - no superscript, then paste into Word Romans 1-5

• Like 1

BEATIFUL!!

Thanks!

For PC users, that's CTRL-A.

• 7 months later...

Thank you for the answer. I had this same question of exporting blocks of text. I do think that a "Text Export" feature with formatting and range options would be a great feature. I am learning my way around this excellent program. Who knows? Maybe I will discover a better way yet.

unless I misunderstand your question, here is how I copy Romans 1-5 with no superscript -- Romans 1-5 in the search box, then click any word in the found text, command-a, selects entire Rom 1-5, then right click, copy as - no superscript, then paste into Word Romans 1-5

I do think that a "Text Export" feature with formatting and range options would be a great feature. 

This has been requested several times in the past. It's a feature I would love to see! It's especially useful if, like me, you work with non-English languages, since there are several "standard" formats, often language specific.

• Like 1