NA 27 / UBS 4 Apparatus

Ryan Griffith

Can accordance put together a tagged NT text with the full apparatus? One thing that I wish I could do would be to have access to the apparatus when I am working in the workspace on a text. It would be an incredibly helpful tool, particularly if it were able to parse the textual variants and explain symbols and mss information for those whose text crit is a little rusty. Any future plans?

Ryan

Ryan,

We already have several text-critical resources available, and there's more on the way.

Our NT Apparatus CD-ROM has two critical apparatuses which you can unlock. The CNTTS Apparatus currently covers the gospels, and will be expanded over time to cover additional books. Its strengths are that it covers every Greek variant, and is, in my opinion, a little less cryptic than most other apparatuses. Its weakness is that it does not include versional and patristic citations--just Greek manuscripts.

The Tischendorf apparatus was developed before the discovery of most of the more important New Testament papyri, so it is less up-to-date than the others, but it does cover the entire New Testament and does include versional and patristic citations.

In addition to these, we'll soon have the Stuttgart Study Bible CD-ROM, which will include both the NA27 Apparatus as well as the BHS apparatus for Hebrew.

For more on how these various resources compare with each other, see the following Forum discussion.

All of these apparatuses can be displayed in parallel with the Greek New Testament or Hebrew Bible, and the various abbreviations are hypertexted so that you can just drag over them to see what they mean.

By the way, another helpful resource which discusses text-critical issues from a less technical perspective are the notes for the NET Bible.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, David. I will look into the resources you mentioned and look forward to the Stuttgart Study Bible!

Ryan

Archived