Comparing vocabulary in LXX and GNT-T

Margaret

I would like to compare the vocabulary in 1 Peter in the GNT-T with the vocabulary in Psalm 33 in the LXX, looking for any words that show up in both places. Is this kind of a search possible and if so, how?

I would like to compare the vocabulary in 1 Peter in the GNT-T with the vocabulary in Psalm 33 in the LXX, looking for any words that show up in both places. Is this kind of a search possible and if so, how?

Piece of cake! :) You have to use the [HITS] command to achieve this kind of search. For instance,

Open a Search window with GNT-T and write * <AND> [RANGE 1pe] (unless you already have a range set to 1 Peter, in which case the asterisk will work just fine). Press the OK button and notice that the Bible pane will show every single word highlighted.

Now duplicate that window (Command-D). Change the Search version to LXX1, press the Tab key and write the following in the Search insertion box: [HITS GNT-T] <AND> [RANGE Psa 33]. Click the OK button and you will see that Accordance highlights the words that appear in both books. Note also that this search will give you the lemmas or lexical forms shared by 1 Peter and Psalm 33. If you want to further refine the search, you can use "HITS=i" instead of "HITS" above to get only the inflected forms that show up in both places.

To see the breakdown of the search, open the Details workspace for that last Search window and look at the Analysis tab. There you should see a list of the words listed alphabetically or by frequency. You may use the well-known by now (Hi David! ;)) Command-T shortcut to access the Set Analysis Display menu and choose the kind of information and layout you want the window to display.

Easy, isn't it?

Thank you Ruben! This worked beautifully and I'm having lots of fun with it. Appreciate the assist very much.

Thank you Ruben! This worked beautifully and I'm having lots of fun with it. Appreciate the assist very much.

My pleasure. I agree, it is a lot of fun :)

THis was a very cool type of search. I don't have the tools noted but it was FUN to just try it with an English translation.

I'd be very interested in seeing and learning other types of searches like this one. Very creative and interesting IMO.

Okay i need a hand now.

This example was very helpful and I'm wondering now if Accordance can show me what lemmas are not common to each search.

I need to figure out which words in the gospel of Peter never appear in the 4 canonical gospels.

Then, I need to take those words that are unique to Gpeter and see where else they appear in all of the apocryphal gospels (greek) module.

I can see in my head how to do it, but it seems like too long a process and I have a feeling that Accordance has a better way to do it

Danny

To find lemmas in GPeter that do NOT appear in the Gospels:

Search window with GNT-T: [RANGE Mat-Joh] *

Search window with AGosp: [RANGE Pet] *@-[HITS GNT-T]

To find these lemmas in rest of AGospels

Another search window with AGosp: [HITS AGOSP]

You don't need the Range command if you have a range defined for the window.

Thanks so much, this is very cool. I was trying to use the [NOT] command and was coming up short.

Always remember that means not in the same verse, whereas @- means not on the same word, so *@-[HITS window] means all words except those on the list of hits.

Similarly lemma@-tag means the lemma when it does not have the specified tag, so agap*@-[VERB] means any lemma starting with agap that is not a verb.

• 4 months later...
Piece of cake! :) You have to use the [HITS] command to achieve this kind of search. For instance,

Open a Search window with GNT-T and write * <AND> [RANGE 1pe] (unless you already have a range set to 1 Peter, in which case the asterisk will work just fine). Press the OK button and notice that the Bible pane will show every single word highlighted.

Now duplicate that window (Command-D). Change the Search version to LXX1, press the Tab key and write the following in the Search insertion box: [HITS GNT-T] <AND> [RANGE Psa 33]. Click the OK button and you will see that Accordance highlights the words that appear in both books. Note also that this search will give you the lemmas or lexical forms shared by 1 Peter and Psalm 33. If you want to further refine the search, you can use "HITS=i" instead of "HITS" above to get only the inflected forms that show up in both places.

To see the breakdown of the search, open the Details workspace for that last Search window and look at the Analysis tab. There you should see a list of the words listed alphabetically or by frequency. You may use the well-known by now (Hi David! ;)) Command-T shortcut to access the Set Analysis Display menu and choose the kind of information and layout you want the window to display.

Easy, isn't it?

No matter how many times I try this, the words don't appear highlighted.

Does anyone know why that might be.

john

Please show us your final search argument.

* <AND> [RANGE 1pe]

I've also tried the asterick alone with a pre-defined search pop-up of 1 Peter.

john mcg

This should highlight every word in the defined range. Perhaps you have set the display of highlighting in such a way that it is not distinguished from the text. be careful with styles like bold and italic: not all fonts support them.

Hmmmmm. All of the text IS coming up changed from the default 'black' to 'red'.

Is that what was meant by 'highlighting'?

john

Thanks Helen. I had a misunderstanding of what 'highlighting' means.

Evidently highlighting doesn't mean highlighting.

:-)

It means a different color font.

john

Well, it means color or style or both, your choice, but it does mean the highlighting of hits within the texts, not the selection of text with Apple's highlighting, nor the application of semi-permanent highlighting styles via the Highlighting palette.

Archived