JPS Torah Commentary

Helen Brown

If you have used this commentary in print and/or in Accordance, please review it for others' benefit, and give the module an overall rating in the top right corner by Rate Topic.

• 3 months later...

This is a top notch series. The authors of the individual commentaries are truly experts. Each of the volumes is well written and assessable. It is extremely useful for Christians to know how our Jewish brothers and sisters interpret this material. It is after all, their whole Bible. There are other commentaries that can help with Christian interpretation of OT texts but this JPS series provides much needed information.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have the print volumes of these and also the Haftarah, Ecclesiastes and Esther volumes. They are all very well-done with excellent presentation. The scholarship is first-rate and Milgrom's commentary on Numbers is one of the best commentaries available period. I agree with Fr. Rich. We cannot begin to understand the Christian writings until we grasp the meanings of the Hebrew scriptures on which the Christian writings have their foundations.

My only complaint has to do with the printed edition of Deuteronomy. It has a misprint in it of about 40 pages that are printed twice and the same number missing. JPS will provide a corrected replacement when they finally reprint it soon.

This set is HIGHLY recommended for those with any interest in the Torah and Hebrew scriptures.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm curious if someone who owns this can tell me more about the Accordance layout? The sample screenshot on the product page didn't show much. The print has essentially an English-Hebrew diglot at the top of the page, with notes below. (Not sure what English translation--presumably one by JPS?)

Any screenshots, whether here or in a private message, are welcomed, just so I can see a bit more.

Does this help?

post-5629-0-61083600-1371499238_thumb.png

• Like 1

Thanks, Rick! This is great. Looks good.

Are the "JPS Excerpts" the full Hebrew and English text that are included in the print editions? If not, are those English and Hebrew texts included as part of the commentary, whether integrated into it or as stand-alone modules?

The Excerpt is only the English translation (yes, JPS or sometimes also referred to as NJPS) that precedes each commentary portion for a particular verse or verses. The Hebrew text is not included. I haven't read the introduction to the commentary series, but my assumption is that it does not differ greatly from the BHS / WLC already in Accordance.

• Like 1

Abram, just one other thing is that accordance do the excellent JPS study bible which is also available tagged. it may even be on sale! And then you have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

The JPS commentary is a scholarly but not a technical commentary that, as a general rule reflects the views of the Masorti Movement/Conservative Judaism (at least in respect to Halakha).The commentary series focuses on the literary character of the text of the Chumash rather than on any particular theology or dogma. I think the series as a whole does a good job of representing a digest of various points of view held with in Judaism as well as the academic world. If, one is at all interested in the Torah/Pentateuch they will do themselves a great favor by acquiring this definitive series.

I'm sure the Accordance staff have the Summer Sales series mapped out already, but with this little boost in publicity on this resource in the forums, it would be a great locus for a sale! :)