User notes/tools edit behavior

Ken Han

This is a bug report / feature request

Bug: I use Typinator to auto expand text snippets in a TextMate-like way. For example, typing the opening parenthesis ( results in Typinator automatically inserting the closing parenthesis ) and placing the cursor inside the parenthesis. For any writer frequently needing to type scripture references like (John 3:16) you can see what a time saver this is. I have other snippets that work similar, not to mention auto-expansion of abbreviations like JC for Jesus Christ, w\ for with, and etc. One of my reasons for using Typinator is it helps to relieve pain in my hands / wrist that unfortunately comes with too much time spent on computer. While I can't avoid using the computer completely, Typinator and other utilities help a lot.

Accordance is the only app that I use where I cannot do this. Typinator cannot expand the snippets inside user notes or tools. I know that Accordance is not your typical Cocoa app (is it even a Cocoa app?), but OS X recently celebrating its 10 year birthday, I've come to expect more Cocoa / Cocoa-like behaviors in my apps. It would be great if user notes and tools make this possible.

Feature request: Again, in a Cocoa app text field, one can begin typing a part of a word and then type either esc or F5, which presents a list of words for either auto-completion or even a quick spell check. This works in Mail, Pages, AddressBook, iCal, well, you get the idea. But not Accordance. I would very much like Accordance to support this behavior. This may have the added benefit of making available the system dictionary. In Cocoa apps you can hover over a word, press cmd + ctrl + d and looks up its definition. This is very useful, also.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Rev. Ken, this is not to your point, but I didn't know either of those OS X shortcuts (how to open dictionary or using f5 or esc for text completion). Both very cool. Thanks.

Mary

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Feature request: Again, in a Cocoa app text field, one can begin typing a part of a word and then type either esc or F5, which presents a list of words for either auto-completion or even a quick spell check. This works in Mail, Pages, AddressBook, iCal, well, you get the idea. But not Accordance. I would very much like Accordance to support this behavior. This may have the added benefit of making available the system dictionary. In Cocoa apps you can hover over a word, press cmd + ctrl + d and looks up its definition. This is very useful, also.

I also ask for the system dictionary support. Today I selected chick-flick in the "Preaching Points" book, clicked on Look-up and got nothing. System dictionary has this word. It would be good to have Cmd + Ctrl + d available also in Accordance. 

• Like 1

+1 And I know there is in minimum one other forum too with this topic.

Greetings

Fabian

I also ask for the system dictionary support. Today I selected chick-flick in the "Preaching Points" book, clicked on Look-up and got nothing. System dictionary has this word. It would be good to have Cmd + Ctrl + d available also in Accordance. 

+1 And I know there is in minimum one other forum too with this topic.

Greetings

Fabian