Accordance on iPad Mini or iPad Air

Elijah

Does anybody use Accordance on an iPad Mini? I'm thinking about getting the new iPad Air or the Mini mainly to use accordance and as an e-reader. I'm not sure if the Mini is to small for accordance or the full-size iPad uncomfortable after long use.

• Like 1

I have an iPad 3, i really have never found it to uncomfortable to hold hours at a time.... The new one is half a pound (250g) lighter so it should be even more comfortable. I know i find it cramped on my iPhone, but have never used a mini, but would guess it is probably acceptable size for use. I know I find a 8x11 sized PDF comfortable to read on my screen.

-Dan

• Like 1

The mini is awesome. I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't think you'd find a huge difference between mini and iPad Air for Accordance.

Unfortunately, as an e-reader, the Accordance app has a ways to go. Highlighting isn't very fluid, yet, and flicking up and down to smooth scroll through a text is slower than expected. It doesn't support "arbitrary text selection" right now, and I'm not sure when it will. It's on the staff's radar screen, at least.

But I use it almost every day anyway--it's great to be able to tap on a word to get Instant Details right away, with two windows at a time. And ability to click on a hyperlinked reference for popup is something iBooks and Kindle can't do, even though they have better highlighting. Also, unlike Kindle and iBooks, you can't make a note in a book on Accordance iOS.

If you have a lot of Accordance modules to load, the 16GB will feel small fast, but unfortunately you can't get the non-retina mini in anything larger than 16GB right now!

• Like 2

One of the things I'm also concerned about with the full-size iPad is that you cannot hold it with one hand like you hold your phone for example.

Both iPads are great devices, just difference sizes. It will come down to personal preference, so go look at them in person if you're able.

You definitely can not hold the full size iPad in one hand like a phone (unless you are Goliath or something....) But I use the full size to preach from every Sunday, and I can hold it in one hand to read from and walk around. I just hold near one of the edges. The mini is certainly more convenient for that, but the extra screen real estate is important for me, so I use the full size iPad.

In Christ,

Bret

The balance is a bit off for me on the full-sized iPad, so I have thought of moving to a mini. However, there are some devices that attach to the back of the iPad and permit a more balanced one-handed grip. I have also seen a device to attach the iPad to an arm, leaving both hands free. A guy at the AT&T retailer here in town was using one. I thought it would make a pretty good device for preaching with an iPad.

The mini is awesome. I can't recommend it highly enough. I don't think you'd find a huge difference between mini and iPad Air for Accordance.

Unfortunately, as an e-reader, the Accordance app has a ways to go. Highlighting isn't very fluid, yet, and flicking up and down to smooth scroll through a text is slower than expected. It doesn't support "arbitrary text selection" right now, and I'm not sure when it will. It's on the staff's radar screen, at least.

But I use it almost every day anyway--it's great to be able to tap on a word to get Instant Details right away, with two windows at a time. And ability to click on a hyperlinked reference for popup is something iBooks and Kindle can't do, even though they have better highlighting. Also, unlike Kindle and iBooks, you can't make a note in a book on Accordance iOS.

If you have a lot of Accordance modules to load, the 16GB will feel small fast, but unfortunately you can't get the non-retina mini in anything larger than 16GB right now!

My sentiments exactly. I too had a tough time deciding if I wanted the mini or the full iPad. I had the original iPad, and I was afraid if the mini was going to be too small. I ended up getting the 32GB iPad mini and I just love it. I think is the right size for my needs. Compact and very portable. That it isn't retina display does not bother me at all. And after using the original iPad for years, the mini feels extremely light.

I agree with Jonathan, it comes down to personal preference. Do you need or want retina display? Do you need something very portable and compact?

Edited by davidmedina

One thing you may check is the size of the keys on the virtual keyboard of each device. I don't recall if in the regular iPad the keys are bigger than the iPad mini, but if they are it may be a factor to consider.

As a beginner at Hebrew, I find the non retina display of my old iPad makes it a bit difficult to distinguish easily between the characters. I had to increase the font size substantially. However the retina display of the new iphone gives me no such problems.

I didn't think its possibly with the iPad Air, but people on youtube videos were actually holding it in one hand like the iPad Mini. I'm not sure however if that would be a comfortable position to read something for a long time.

I have the mini with Accordance on it and it is fine! Easily one-handble (if that is a real word) and suitable for reading.

• Like 1

I agree with Jonathan, it comes down to personal preference. Do you need or want retina display? Do you need something very portable and compact?

The retina mini's are to be released later this month.

-Dan

Yes, it is coming out later this month but for what I hear it will be at least $100 more expensive than the current iPad Mini.

Pad mini with Retina display will be available later in November in silver or space gray. iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi models will be available for a suggested retail price of $399 (US) for the 16GB model, $499 (US) for the 32GB model, $599 (US) for the 64GB model and $699 (US) for the 128GB model. iPad mini with Retina display Wi-Fi + Cellular models will be available for a suggested retail price of $529 (US) for the 16GB model, $629 (US) for the 32GB model, $729 (US) for the 64GB model and $829 (US) for the 128GB model. Additionally, the original iPad mini is now offered at a more affordable price of $299 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi model and $429 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi + Cellular model for either AT&T, Sprint or Verizon.

So the iPad Retina is $70 more than the original price of $329 of the Mini or as you pointed out $100 more expensive than the new price of an iPad Mini. But you are getting not only a better display but a much faster machine. I would personally prefer to wait a bit longer and get the better machine. But everyone must make the choice that is best for them.

Dan

Yes, it is definitively better. I am already on the waiting list for one :)

Several comments have mentioned holding a full size iPad. I got an iPad 2 and initially found it uncomfortable to hold for long periods, however I bought a Mivizu soft leather case with padded back and it really has transformed how comfortable it is to use.

The new iPad air is great. Very light wait.

The new iPad air is great. Very light wait.

Yes, it is very fast. It's about 2/3rds the weight of the previous model too. :D (Sorry. Just couldn't help myself. It was too easy. :D )

I'm also primed to buy a Mini Retina as soon as they ship.

By way of comparison, I have an iPad 4 and a Kindle Paperwhite. The iPad 4 is definitely not a one hand device even though I have the (large) hands for it. When reading on it, I always have it propped against something, like my legs, etc. In handling one of the Airs in the store, though it's definitely lighter, it still feels like a two-handed device, in part due to the torque caused by its size.

In contrast, the Kindle Paperwhite is easily a one-handed device, even with a case, which makes it about the same weight as an iPad Mini without a case. It's great for long reading sessions.

It's this difference that pushed my decision into the Mini Retina instead of the Air.

Case light makes a huge difference because i said in ever noticed problems using it for hours but it is in a book like case.... which might be making it more comfortable to hold.

-Dan

Is the screen of the iPad Mini big enough for Accordance? If only two resources are possible to show simultaneously, I would say yes (without having used an iPad or iPad Mini). But if that would change in future versions I could see benefits from a larger screen.

For me it would be nice to have for example user notes, original language (would be nice if BHS/GNT could be combined like on the desktop version) and translation open.

Edited by Elijah

Elijah, the iOS version of Accordance can only display two resources at once, even on the iPad. The new iPad Mini Retina has the same number of pixels as its larger sibling, so what's displayed is exactly the same on both, just visually smaller on the Mini.

Is the screen of the iPad Mini big enough for Accordance? If only two resources are possible to show simultaneously, I would say yes (without having used an iPad or iPad Mini). But if that would change in future versions I could see benefits from a larger screen.

For me it would be nice to have for example user notes, original language (would be nice if BHS/GNT could be combined like on the desktop version) and translation open.

Elijah – The possibility of more panes in Accordance iOS is why I will probably stick with the full-size iPad. We haven't committed to replacing our 3rd gen iPads yet. I will confess to being very tempted by the retina mini.

Elijah – The possibility of more panes in Accordance iOS is why I will probably stick with the full-size iPad. We haven't committed to replacing our 3rd gen iPads yet. I will confess to being very tempted by the retina mini.

Didn't know thats possible. I didn't see the + button on the older videos of Accordance on the iPad. It would be interesting to see 3 panes on the iPad mini retina when it's out. Maybe I can decide then :)

Elijah,

The current release of Accordance for iOS only supports the two panes you've seen. It may be that they're planning to add more in a future release, but I'm certainly not privy to such info.