Default behavior when clicking a Bible reference in resources

thechrisroberts

Logos user here, once again dipping my toe into Accordance waters.

I'm using Accordance 10 with the starter collection and a small handful of additional resources.

I'm trying to figure out how to anticipate what happens when I click a Bible reference in a resource. For instance, if I have the ESV open with the ESV crossrefs on the side and I click a verse in the crossrefs, it opens a new zone (or whatever the space is called) with the same resources:

post-31525-0-62831700-1347764409_thumb.png

On the other hand, if all I have open is John Gill's Divinity and I click a reference, it opens a zone with just the ESV text:

post-31525-0-02438200-1347764516_thumb.png

How do I specify what should happen? I don't want to duplicate everything I have open. I would prefer references show up in the Bible I already have displaying, but I think I understand why this doesn't/can't really happen. My second choice would be to open a Bible, put it where I want it, and be able to tell the program to open references in that resource. How do I do this? With Gill, I closed the Bible it opened, open the ESV manually, then clicked a reference and once again it opens its own copy of the text, in this case placing it beneath the ESV text I'd opened:

post-31525-0-83241100-1347764767_thumb.png

How do I tell Accordance where to direct Bible references when clicked?

When you open a new tab by Amplifying, whether clicking a reference, triple-clicking a word, or using one of the menus or the Library after selecting a word, the tab has an active recycling button in the top right corner. It's a liitle hard currently to tell if the button is active or not, but blue means active, and you can click it to turn it on and off. This tells Accordance to reuse the tab if the conditions are the same.

So you can simply open the new tab, drag it wherever you want into a current or new zone, remove or add panes and change its display. If you leave recycling on, Accordance will reuse it everytime you amplify to that module (unless the settings change). For example, if your tab is set to ESVS and Verses, any click on a reference in a tool will use that tab unless the text set in the tool is different. But if you select a word and try to search the ESVS, a new tab will open with the Words setting.

Have you watched the Podcasts? Are you consulting the Help files?

For example, if your tab is set to ESVS and Verses, any click on a reference in a tool will use that tab unless the text set in the tool is different. But if you select a word and try to search the ESVS, a new tab will open with the Words setting.

Thank you, that helps some, but I'm still not completely sure of what it's doing. Right now I have three zones open: top left, an ESV I opened and stuck there for searching. Bottom left, an ESV that opened when I clicked a verse reference from John Gill. To the right, several resources in parallel.

post-31525-0-29105900-1347774078_thumb.png

If I click the recycle button on the bottom left, any verse references I click open in that ESVS. But if I unclick recycle from the bottom left and click it in the top left, if I click a verse reference then it tries to duplicate my zone on the right, all four parallel resources, to display the reference I clicked (it tries to open the new zone as a new tab on the bottom left, but tells me it can't fit them all so it only opens three, as the screenshot indicates).

post-31525-0-64339600-1347774120_thumb.png

Question: Since I have the ESV on the top left set to recycle, and it's currently set for Verses, why won't verses open there when I click a verse reference?

As for the help files and such, I've started going through them (note: there seems to be an error on this one, the caption on the workspace photo says one of the zones has two tabs, but unless I'm losing it faster than I thought, they all only have one...)

Okay, think I've got it. The top left zone is English Text whereas when I click a reference it's looking for a Context zone (I hadn't thought of the action as Amplifying the reference; you clued me to that above). Figured out that if I'm starting from scratch, go to the Amplify button on the toolbar to add a Context zone, or press Cmd-5.

Along the way noticed the Tab Ties feature, a nifty ability I hadn't been aware of.