Omit Version Number from App Name

amelam

In order to bring Accordance up to date with the standard practice of most other OS X apps, I think it would be nice if the Accordance version number was omitted from the end of the name in future version releases (just "Accordance" will do and would shorten the name in the dock, etc), and made available only in the "Preview" and "Get Info" panes.

I think this is a good idea. On my 12" iBook I lose visibility of some things on the menu bar when Accordance is the active program, and dropping the version number would help out with that.

I'll second that. Each new named version of Accordance requires iKey macros to be updated and resaved. Of all the applications on my boot volume, only three have version numbers appended, one of which is a beta iteration.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to re-open this discussion, now that 7.0.1 is in my program name on the menu bar on my 12" iBook. Any chance of removing the version number so that it is formatted like Pages, Mail, or other apps?

Having the version number in the application name is just silly and uses up valuable real estate on the menu bar. Also, every upgrade of Accordance creates a new instance of the app and breaks any alias to the application (like from Butler for launching) and every one must be re-visited to correct this.

I agree that it's time to fix this, but please complete the solution by removing the name on the menubar and in the application file itself, then make sure that future updates modify/patch the application contents rather than creating a new instance. Once this is done, Accordance will finally behave like every other normal OS X application.

That's always been a nuisance. But, there are reasons for doing it, as well. Mick's comment about breaking scripts is right on.

Archived