A Question about Scripture References in Eerdman's

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Today I was reading the article on the Beloved Disciple in Eerdman's dictionary. In that article, there are lots of Scripture references that are not linked. I was going to report them using Report a Correction, but the large number gave me pause. Looking more carefully, I realized that all of the unlinked references lacked a book name. I know many Accordance modules have links on such references, but it would appear a decision was made not to do so in Eerdman's.

I'm curious about the decision. I also found myself frustrated with the lack of links tonight. I've become accustomed to being able to click on (or even hover over) a link to see the reference. Tonight I couldn't do that. It was particularly bothersome because some aspects of the article were unclear, and the references I needed to look up to clarify the statements were not links.

Lorinda

Dictionaries are somewhat like a collection of mini-books with individual authors. As such the context for scripture references in e-texts where tagging is not already done (the vast majority) is based upon the article they are contained within, making tagging a really laborious task. With this resource it appears we just made the decision to tag as many as accurately possible via automation and left the rest untagged. This is somewhat common, and often times we will go back and fine-tune it, which we should probably do in this case since the resource is included in many of our packages.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1