The LORD'S Passover

Ron Bailey

I have been trying to isolate uses in the KJV of the proper name of 'Jehovah' and the possessive 's'.

I was struck with this little phrase in Ex12:11 and wanted to compare it with the likes of the Lord's Table in 1 Corinthians. A straightforward search on "Lord's" accomplished this for "lord's" and "LORD'S" but then I became curious about just the 'Jehovah' plus 's' instances. How would I search for the exact term "LORD'S"? I have tried 'exact' searches and noticed that the 'exact' form of "LORD'S" doesn't appear in the drop-down of words.

I have been trying to isolate uses in the KJV of the proper name of 'Jehovah' and the possessive 's'.

I was struck with this little phrase in Ex12:11 and wanted to compare it with the likes of the Lord's Table in 1 Corinthians. A straightforward search on "Lord's" accomplished this for "lord's" and "LORD'S" but then I became curious about just the 'Jehovah' plus 's' instances. How would I search for the exact term "LORD'S"? I have tried 'exact' searches and noticed that the 'exact' form of "LORD'S" doesn't appear in the drop-down of words.

That will be difficult. The underlying Hebrew is not possessive (It is Passover to YHWH). Perhaps we should suggest that Accordance be given the ability to search for possessives.

Jack

Using the KJVS, Try this search:

[KEY H3068] @LORD'S

Lorinda

If you have other key number texts, you might find it interesting to compare the occurrence of LORD's in each of them. The NIV, for example, uses LORD's far more often than the KJV. The only other keyed text I have is the NRSV, and the Old Testament tagging is not complete, so I was not able to get an accurate count for that one.

Note that the key number for the Tetragrammaton (YHWH, or 'Jehovah') in the NIV G/K is H03378.

Lorinda

By default, Accordance ignores capitalization and punctuation. To search for an an "inflected form" (an exact character string), use the equals sign (=).

The search would then look like this: =LORD's

Enjoy!

By default, Accordance ignores capitalization and punctuation. To search for an an "inflected form" (an exact character string), use the equals sign (=).

The search would then look like this: =LORD's

Enjoy!

That search works in the NRSV and the NIV-G/K, but it does not work in the KJVS. As philologos mentioned, attempting this search in the KJV results is a window that asks you to choose an inflected form, and LORD's is not one of the choices.

Lorinda

It does not work because the form is not found in that text:

lord

The problem here is that the text uses the Small Caps style to identify the tetragrammaton, rahther than using all caps, so in these places the search for =Lord's should find them, because the text styles are ignored in a search.

Aha! That does work, although one of the hits (Dan 9:17) is not the Tetragrammaton.

If one has a keyed text, though, the search I suggested above works.

Lorinda

Thanks folks!

Lorinda's suggestion of [KEY H3068] @LORD'S on the KJVS seems to work OK. I was just surprised not to see "LORD'S" in the search word drop down.

Archived