Any Resource for Hebrew Morphology?

Martin Z

This is not an Accordance question. But I hope someone here could help me out.

For biblical Greek, there is a nice book on morphology: William Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek.

I wonder if there is a similar book about biblical Hebrew.

Joshua Blau's Biblical Hebrew Phonology and Morphology: An Introduction is a good advanced book. But I do not need such an advanced book. I just want to have a book which has the same layout as Mounce's Greek Morphology: List the paradigms and explain the form when necessary.

The paradigms in the end of the Basic Hebrew Grammar books such as Gary Pratico's Basics of Biblical Hebrew are not enough. For example, I want to know why the vowel under aleph is Hireq in שְׁאִלְתִּיהוּ (Jdg 13:6).

Blessings,
Martin

I think for questions like that, Blau might be your go-to after all. Have you seen Miles Van Pelt's little Compact Guide? (It's based on the BBH he co-wrote with Pratico.) That would be worth checking out, but it doesn't approach the scope of Mounce's Morphology.

Thank you, Abram.

I haven't seen the Compact Guide before. Just checked the preview pages on Amazon.

It is a nice book. Nice for review of Basic Hebrew. What I wanted is something between this and Blau's.

For the basic Hebrew, I like John Beckman's Study Guide a lot. It is also excellent for review. And it is free.

His webpage may be found here.

• Like 1

I came across Van Pelt and Pratico's another book Charts of Biblical Hebrew. It has 450+ charts in the CD-Rom. I rushed to the library of my school, only to be disappointed to find out that the CD-Rom was gone...

John Beckman's site is awesome. Lots of great mnemonics in his vocabulary files... I even emailed him and suggested a few additional ones that he added in.

T & T Clark just released a Hebrew Primer. It's quite short, but it does have a bit about vowels and verbal morphology. Not so much the why, but more of the what than you might otherwise find in a work of that lenght.

John Beckman's site is awesome. Lots of great mnemonics in his vocabulary files... I even emailed him and suggested a few additional ones that he added in.

T & T Clark just released a Hebrew Primer. It's quite short, but it does have a bit about vowels and verbal morphology. Not so much the why, but more of the what than you might otherwise find in a work of that length.

Thanks Abram.

I wish I could have a look at it so that I may decide whether to buy or not.

Now I'm more interested in the why questions.

Maybe I should get Blau's book. Man, it is expensive!

I think you'd like Blau. It was just on sale last month through Eisenbrauns. I watched it once for more than a year on Amazon, and I don't think it ever dropped below $10 less than its retail price. But worth it, if you can get it eventually.

Have you checked Biblical Hebrew Reference Grammar? It's not as consolidated as Mounce, but it's got a lot of morphology there.

Edited by Abram K-J