Searching words ending with any tense

harrisonbrock

Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:

1. Search for "hold fast"

This returns 9 search hits but does not return hits for "holding fast"

How can I get all search hits without having to type "hold fast" AND "holding fast"

If you do the search as:

hold* fast

you'll get alternate forms of hold (holds, holding, etc.)

If you want to ensure there are no intervening words (e.g. hold him fast) the you would use

hold* <WITHIN 1 words> fast

Mike

• Like 1

From the phrasing, I am going to assume you are searching the KJV. It only has one verse that has the phrase "holding fast" (Titus 1:9).

The other verses are best found by searching this way: hold <AND> fast (2 Kgs 6:32; Job 8:15; 27:6; Prov 4:13; Jer 8:5; Matt 26:48; 1 Thess 5:21; 2 Thess 2:15; 2 Tim 1:13; Heb 3:6; 4:14; 10:23; Rev 2:25; 3:3, 11). This search finds the two words in whatever order they appear.

The phrase translates a number of different Hebrew and Greek words, but doesn't seem to do so with any sort of consistency that I can identify. Sorry.

• Like 1

Hi Mike and Tim,

Thank you for the answers. Seem like the searching work the same way SQL (database program language) does.

I'm using the KJV and I used "hold fast" as an example.

If you have Accordance 10 it also supports Flex searching, that does the grammatical variations you are familiar with. So, if you search for "hold fast", but without the quotes, it will find the variations you are looking for. Surrounding a word in quotes says to search for this word or phrase exactly, eliminating your variations on the words.

Thanks Joel.