Bible Text Location Is Shanghaied by Parallel Commentary Selection

Enoch

Bible Text Location Is shanghaied by Parallel Commentary Selection.

So often because commentary sets are incomplete, when I have a text I want a comment on, but choose a set that lacks the Book (because the set is incomplete), instead of just doing nothing or popping up, "You don't have that book in this set," the commentary set activates and brings up the wrong book. At first it looks strange, but then a notice at the bottom right Navigation indicator, tells one that it brought up the wrong book.

For example, I was looking for commentary on Ephesians 4, but the set lacked Ephesians and brought up commentary on Galatians. This is an inconvenience.

But to make matters worse, I find that now my original text (Ephesians 4) changes, like to the Galatians commentary text which came up wrong to begin with. (This may only happen when I try scrolling up or down in the commentary [to be sure I am at the wrong place].) So then, I not only have to get rid of the offending commentary set, but I have to renavigate back to the text I was considering (Ephesians 4 in this case).

And it also seems that if Eph 4 is still in the search window of the Bible text, I cannot just put the cursor there and push "enter," but I have to retype in the search window.

I find this last same problem with reference tools if I click on a link as to a verse (by accident). Often times I am taken away from where I was in the reference tool. And though the search window of that tool still has the location I want to go to, I have to retype the word in the search box, as it ignores the fact that the word is still there when I press enter.

Edited by Enoch

Hi Enoch, re the retyping issue. Accordance thinks your search is still complete (which in a sense it is).

All you have to do is type a space at the end of the search string and press return. No need to type the entire string again.

I have also found it inconvenient when I would like to repeat a search, and the search bar is greyed out. What is the reason behind accordance behaving this way?

Thanks,

Randy

There may be some other reasons but the two I can think of are:

1. It lets you know that the search has been done. If you looking through information for a time you can sometimes forget that you have done a search.

2. It also prevents you redoing a search by accident which would reset everything.

Although I too have issues with not being able to rerun a search easily sometimes I think the above may become issues if it was changed. Maybe a solution would be to have a rerun last search key/command.

I am not in your shoes, nor using your workflows, but it seems like only a minuscule inconvenience to me when all it takes is the space and return...you don't even have to delete the space :-)

It is possible to simply rerun the last search by using the pull down menu of search history. Just next to the looking glass icon there is a down arrow of previous searches. Simply selecting the search you want from that list will immediately rerun it. The most recent one is right at the top. It might be nice to have a shortcut key but I'm not sure how much use I would give it, but for others it might be more frequent. Enoch's issue though would be solved by not opening the wrong resource to begin with. It seems that the search does not know before the resource is open that Ephesians is not in the set, so it opens the set and runs a standard search which stops at the end of the preceding available book. Bible text searches do this, where a search for Jn 57:99 lands you at Jn 21:25. But if the book is not known then you get a message. I don't know how complicated such an enhancement would be but .... might be worth considering.

Thx

D

Since I have bought so many Accordance commentaries and sets, my memory is not good enough to know what books are missing from what sets. Of course if had known that Eph was not in the set, I would not have poked it.

BTW, thanks for all the helpful comments above. I had no idea one could add a space and then hit return,

Since I have bought so many Accordance commentaries and sets, my memory is not good enough to know what books are missing from what sets. Of course if had known that Eph was not in the set, I would not have poked it.

BTW, thanks for all the helpful comments above. I had no idea one could add a space and then hit return,

I hope you didn't take my comments to suggest that you should have remembered. (I just today found I owned a resource I was considering buying !)

Software should take such drudgery on for us. I was more speculating on an enhancement to Acc that would address your issue at the outset, rather than working around it later.

Thx

D