Has the Widget been abandoned?

David Padfield

I really hate to pester you folks, but it has been two months since Mavericks was released and the Accordance Widget has still not been updated so it can be used in that OS.

I've held off installing Mavericks on my main computer since I use the Accordance Widget every day!

Are you still working on the Widget or has been abandonded?

We are working on a minor update to the Widget that should enable at least the Auto-Insert functionality. However, Mavericks introduced certain security changes which mean that (likely) Auto-Search won't ever work, and potentially other capabilities. We have plans to restructure the Widget entirely to work better (i.e. get it off the Dashboard), but these are being pushed back by other higher priority items.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information Joel. I am very glad to hear that this is at least on the list for a fix.

1.6.7 of the Widget has been posted here:

http://www.accordancebible.com/Accordance-Installers#Widget

It fixes the ability to Auto Insert from the widget. Auto Search still doesn't work in Mavericks and may never work, due to the new security restrictions. But, that can be worked around without too much hassle.

• 9 months later...

At present, on my machine at least, the Widget works in the following programs: Numbers '09, Numbers 3.5, Mac Notes, Evernote, Accordance Notes, Safari, Messages and just about anywhere text can be input.

It does not work in Pages '09, Pages 5.5, or MS Word 11. Not sure why this is.

For those who may have depended on the Widget the new Services work very well as an alternative.

What I do miss about the Widget is the ease it afforded in selecting a Bible version. Has it been left behind?

Edited by circuitrider
  • Like 1

The widget was left behind by Apple a long time ago :) The services are an excellent stop gap, and you can easily define multiple services for different versions, or use one that includes the version picker.

For those interested in considering the upgrade to Accordance 11, one of its features will also address this very effectively.

• Like 1

...use one that includes the version picker.

Thanks Joel,

I'll lay the old Widget to rest though I loved it so.

Can you lead me in the right direction with the version picker option?

Thank you.

The set of prepared services is available here. Version 11 will offer a built in option for pulling in verses to any document.

Extremely telling is the fact that OS X 10.10 has a system preference to completely disable the Dashboard (which I did on day 1 to avoid those annoying accidental launches).

The set of prepared services is available here. Version 11 will offer a built in option fr pulling in verses to any document.

Only been waiting for this since version 4.