Philo or Philippians???

davesalyer

BDAG version 1.3

When doing a scripture search in BDAG for any verse in Philippians chapter 4 (all other chapters have been working fine) it also pulls up all references to Philo. Also, when I scroll over those Philo references, the instant details box brings up Philippians 4:1 every time instead of info on Philo. I didn't see any topics about this on the forums and I checked for updates, etc. Could be a bug but I am not that tech savvy so I posted it here. Sounds like Philo got linked to Phil 4:1 somehow. Please advise.

There do seem to be a few spurious hyperlinks here, we will correct them for the next rev.

Is there any kind of workaround I could use until the revision comes out - some way to eliminate Philo from the results or something?

Is there any kind of workaround I could use until the revision comes out - some way to eliminate Philo from the results or something?

You might look at the results difference if you add a second search field under "More options"

Search within every paragraph

NOT English Content philo

That will ignore all hits where Philo is mentioned in the paragraph. This could conceivably remove actual references to Philipians 4, and will certainly still leave some references to Philo.

Unfortunately Philo is always abbreviated as "Phil" so I think that would cut out all references to "Phil"ippians as well. Oh well, I am just glad it is only this chapter that has the problem. I have used this feature so much in translating the book for class that I have become dependent on it! Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately Philo is always abbreviated as "Phil" so I think that would cut out all references to "Phil"ippians as well. Oh well, I am just glad it is only this chapter that has the problem. I have used this feature so much in translating the book for class that I have become dependent on it! Thanks for the suggestion.

You missed the point. Look more closely at the search I suggested... perhaps it's a feature you're unfamiliar with.

The second search criteria searches not the Scripture field but the english content discussions, etc. Philo isn't abbreviated in the discussion portions. I'd bet you that the search will cut a third or so of the hits.

I've tried doing what you suggested. Search criteria: every paragraph NOT English content "Philo." In BDAG, Philo is abbreviated "Phil". These are not discussions about Philo, but rather references to his works where the same greek word is used. Perhaps you are looking at a different work where Philo is typed out in full. That is not the case in my version of BDAG. Essentially it is treating all references to the works of Philo as if they were a scripture reference to Philippians 4:1 (hence this verse comes up when I scroll over any reference to Philo).

If I am still missing something, please let me know.

Dave,

All I was saying is that you could (using the above search), find all scripture links to Phillipians (and Philo) where "Philo" was not discussed in the same paragraph. As I said, this is not especially helpful, since it will also skip legitimate references to Philippians.

Archived