Highlighting texts according to frequency.

Nick Laurence

I’m making the transition from Bibleworks to Accordance, and am searching for ways of doing things that I already do in Bibleworks.

One thing is that in Bibleworks I have arranged for my Hebrew Bible text to highlight (in blue) all words where the lemma occurs 50 times or less in the MT. I don’t now have to do anything to get it to show this, having programmed it, it just does. Is there any way of doing this in Accordance? If so, how?

Many thanks.

Welcome to Accordance, Nick!

What you are asking is actually very easy to do. First, you want to find all the words that occur 50 or fewer times in the MT. To do this, run a search in your BHS-W4 tab for [COUNT 1-50] (type Shift-Command-U as a shortcut for the COUNT command). This will mark each of those words as a hit throughout the text. But, this is of course just the temporary results of your search. To highlight these more permanently, make sure your Highlight Palette is open (use the Windows menu to open it) and shift click on one of the styles. This will mark every hit with the chosen style. If this is your first time working with the Highlights, you can define styles using Command-Control-H or Display menu -> Define Highlight Styles...

Let me know how this goes.

That's the ticket (once I'd paid more careful attention to your post and eradicated my silly mistake). Many thanks.