Microsoft Surface RT or Pro Compatibility

craigminah

Well, I finally got Accordance on my Surface RT :-)

Check out the custom skins for my RT from an image I took from the Accordance Bible Art module.

The image is Angels Destroy the Armies of Sennacherib (2 Kings 19:35-36) by Peter Paul Reubens.

IMG_3629.jpg

IMG_3631.jpg

• Like 1

Wow. Fantastic images...makes me want to buy the Accordance Bible Art module. How you like your RT?

You should definitely get the Bible Art module :-)

I have surprised myself and a few other folks in that I actually like the RT. See my review here:

http://thislamp.com/posts/2013/4/3/an-apple-guy-tries-out-the-surface-rt-and-likes-it.html

I still can't recommend the Surface RT, but prices have been dropped on the RT… BTW that is a very cool Skin.

-Dan

I still can't recommend the Surface RT, but prices have been dropped on the RT… BTW that is a very cool Skin.

-Dan

Depends on the use...I think the RT is much more useful compared to the Pro version due to battery life but the Pro version is more capable due to full blown Windows 8. Have you seen the benchmarks of the Pro vs everything else out there, faster than anything tablet out there by a mile.

I am not saying the pro is a bad thing… or even that the RT is useless, indeed for many the RT may be a good choice, and despite the pros seeming limited battery life, I will admit I am envious of a tablet running full OS (no way I will ever afford a modbook). It is rumoured that the RT price drop is because MS is trying to clear out a failed product, my main concern for those purchasing an RT is it's long term viability. Like I said before I hope I am wrong… I know the Androids will be around for a long time… if the RT were capable of running android APPS i would be more hopeful for it. I see people here and in Logos requesting APP support, Logos provided the most basic APP and announced it was ceasing work until the RT had a larger user base. Accordance will not be offering anything beyond iOS for the foreseeable future (although i would suspect in a few years an android APP might appear).

-Dan

PS:Reading the wikipedia page on the RT isn't the most inspiring thing.

Well, I don't even know that I'd recommend the Surface RT :-)

Like Craig said, it would depend upon the use. I simply like playing with tech. I like the device for what it is. I do think Windows RT will be around longterm unless MS makes a major change to their plan.

I do wish the app store was a bit more robust, but it probably will be over time.

By the way, Microsoft is the only RT tablet maker that has not dropped their prices yet, so I don't believe they're "trying to clear out a failed product." Having said that, any Windows RT tablet priced at $499 is too high in my opinion; they need to be lower regardless.

• 1 year later...

Rick
You're punning, right? Or can you actually run Accordance on a Surface RT? Since the prices have plummeted on the Surface models that run Windows RT, I thought about buying one but went with something else largely b/c I knew it wouldn't run Accordance. Was I wrong?

Rick

You're punning, right? Or can you actually run Accordance on a Surface RT? Since the prices have plummeted on the Surface models that run Windows RT, I thought about buying one but went with something else largely b/c I knew it wouldn't run Accordance. Was I wrong?

I had to go back and read through the posts. These were a while back. I was making a joke. I had Accordance on the RT only in the sense that I had taken an image from the Bible Art module, ordered a skin from it and applied it to my RT. So it was kind of in a literal sense that Accordance was on my RT tablet.

Incidentally, I don't even have that tablet anymore. I traded up to a Surface Pro, and then I traded up from there to the Acer R7-572.

I still use my Mac about 60-70% of the time, and then I use my Acer for a few things that the Mac won't do.

How do you like your Acer? How is the quality of the construction? I just bought an Asus T100, but it has some quirks and I am debating returning it to get the Acer Aspire Switch 10. The Acer looks to be a better design with slightly better specs, but I got the Asus bc Acer seems to have a reputation for shoddy work. If Acer's construction has improved, that could push me over the edge.

Well, having used mostly Macs for the last 16 years, my Acer R7 clearly does not have the quality of construction or materials of a produce made by Apple, but what does? I believe that the very cheapest Acers are just that, but the more expensive ones seem to be better constructed. I'm perfectly satisfied with the construction and build of my Acer R7. It's plastic and not aluminum like my MacBook Pro, but it's not too bad. I paid much more for the MBP. You get what you pay for :-)