Text Size Won't Go Small!!

Marshall A. Fant

Problem: when I upgraded from Accordance 8 to 9, I noticed that I no longer can make my text smaller in the window than my default text. Typically, I leave my default text size at 16, but when I print to paper I often like to change the text down to size 12 or 10. One of the most nifty things about the Accordance setup is the aA buttons that allow you to change the size of the text on the fly. I have noticed that since my upgrade, I have not been able to make the text smaller than my default setting without going into the settings and changing my text default setting to a smaller font size.

I really miss this functionality. Please someone patch it!

[i even made a video to explain myself]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLcwZTaJBvA

or click

Marshall,

I saw clearly from your video that the text size buttons did behave as you describe, but when I tried it myself I was able to back the font size down to nigh-illegibly small even though my display settings were set to 24 point. Are you using the latest release of Accordance 9 (9.3.3)?

This issue aside, did you know that you can set the font size at which text prints in the Print Settings dialog under the File menu? Just set your default font size for printing and you'll never have to adjust the size of text on your screen before you print.

Hope this helps.

The reason your text size cannot get smaller is your references are already so small. When you do the aA button, it adjusts both reference and content sizes. In order to keep them at relatively the same sizes, it won't adjust one without being able to adjust the other. Since your reference is already at minimum size, it cannot go any smaller.

Solution: Make your reference text not the minimum size, and you should be able to resize it all freely.

By the way, usually you should be adjusting the display settings with Command-T rather than going to the preferences. The Preferences are for setting the defaults of *all* texts, and that is why you had to click through a dialog after setting the preferences. It is asking if you want to set these new defaults to your current open text panes.

Ok. I thought I had been able to do it in earlier versions despite having a 9 point font for my refs, but it could be that I changed my references smaller without remembering(?). Not sure. Thanks for the help.

I believe that you are correct, this logic was changed in version 9. The reasoning was that the old logic was creating discrepancies in the font sizes. It would prove to be problematic if you go and make your font size smaller in the text, but the reference doesn't get any smaller as it is already at the minimum height. If you then make your text bigger, both sizes go up and you have a different proportion than intended. This was especially prevalent in Hebrew texts with English book names.

Archived