• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 19 October 2005 - 08:04 AM

Hi David,

For me, too many steps means:

Launching Dashboard
Waiting for Dashboard (sloooow - not enough RAM)
Opening the Accordance widget (all widgets are closed - not enough RAM)
Waiting for the Accordance widget
Typing in the reference (sloooow - not a good typist)
Waiting for Accordance to launch (sloooow - not enough RAM)
Etc
Quitting Accordance afterwards

You get the idea. My problem is a slow system, not with the widget per se.

~Alistair

#22 Alberto Rodriguez

Alberto Rodriguez

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 28 October 2005 - 02:27 PM

I have used the widget, and I love it. :D

#23 Eleuterio

Eleuterio

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Bible - AT - Psalms - Wisdom Literature

Posted 05 November 2005 - 05:10 PM

I find the widget extremely useful for two main reasons:

- quick verse insertions, no question about this (no RAM problems)
- when inserting Hebrew text, it asumes my Mellel paragraph (and character) formatting, which Accordance doesn't (at least, I couldn't do it).

I would like to put to your consideration the following suggestion:

Since I mostly use it to insert Hebrew text, I would find it useful to have the same possibilities the main program has regarding vowels and/or cantillation stripping.
To make it simple, the widget could use the same Accordance preferences. It would of course eliminate the current situation where you can have stripping when you export from Accordance and full text via the widget.

What do you people think about this?

Thank you
Eleuterio

#24 Karyn Traphagen

Karyn Traphagen

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:00 PM

I've been using the widget now for a few months. I like it very much. I use it especially when taking notes during a lecture when I want to insert a Hebrew text (or Greek or English). Very useful and quick.

Thanks for posting (above) the shortcut to change Bibles without "flipping" the widget.
Karyn Traphagen
Doctoral Student
University of Stellenbosch (South Africa)

www.boulders2bits.com

#25 Charles Stock

Charles Stock

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:09 AM

Does anybody LIKE the widget? Apart from Rino, that is.

This is pretty outdated, but for what it's worth, I really like the widget. I second Rino's requests regarding the citations and formatting.

#26 iGreg

iGreg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 11:49 PM

I know theres been lots of (well, seems like lots of to me) requests for this Accordance widget and talk about what it might or might not do. Well, it just got released today, so I urge everyone to go check it out! I was doing a lot of the work on it, so I'm curious as to your comments, be it about look, functionality, anything. This is the initial release, so I'm open to listen to other ideas (if they are feasible, of course).

Widget is very buggy for me. When I hit Enter, not only does it look up verse, it launches main Accordance app. Also, sometimes the Widget just does not work and fails to look up reference at all.

For now, I have disabled the widget.

Computer: iBook G4, 800 MHz, OS 10.4.3, 620 MB RAM

Also, even though only Bible verion I have installed is KJV, when I do a search, not only does it launch main Accordance app, I see an error message that NIV is not installed so search can not proceed. Widget is buggy all around for me.

#27 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 11:05 AM

Regarding the launching of Accordance, as has been discussed before, there is no way to access the texts without using Accordance itself. The problem is twofold: 1) The sheer amount of module decryption and languange handling is much higher than the scope of the widget itself, in addition to the handling of unlocking. 2) Even if that code were to be put into the widget, it is a great security leak, as there is no way to protect the widget code from being stolen. Thus, I won't call launching Accordance a feature, but it is a necessity to access the unlocked texts on your computer.

For your other bug, I'm not sure why this is happening. Even if Accordance only has 1 translation (such as the KJV), if the translation list is correct (make sure you update it on the back of the widget), it will still function fine. If Accordance doesn't have the NIV, there should be no reason why its trying to access it. Are you using the latest versions of both Accordance and the widget?

Edited by Helen Brown, 04 December 2005 - 03:30 PM.

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users