Widget will not work

Walter Colace

I am running OS X 10.5.6 software with the latest Accordance 8.2 update. My widget doesn't work. In fact I haven't been able to use it for some time, even prior to the 8.2. When I first download the widget it works fine. But when I restart my computer it ceases to work. I type in a passage and it stays on "loading" and does nothing. Can anyone give me insight as to how to correct this problem. I do sermon prep weekly and it's a hassle to cut and paste, it takes a lot of extra time to go back and forth between accordance and pages.

Thank You,

Walter

If you simply press option-R to reload the widget does that fix the problem each time?

Please try reinstalling the widget per the instructions in the widget Read me, and the troubleshooting tips at the bottom.

If you simply press option-R to reload the widget does that fix the problem each time?

Please try reinstalling the widget per the instructions in the widget Read me, and the troubleshooting tips at the bottom.

Hi Helen, I tried everything according to the troubleshooting instructions and still no go. Like I said, it will work fine until I shut down my computer and restart it then it goes back to the normal problem. When I type an address in like John 10:1-10 it shows "loading" but doesn't do anything beyond that.

Walter

Try opening your tmp folder. Its an invisible folder, but if you go to the finder and do Shift-Command-G (go to folder) and enter '/tmp' (no quotes) it should take you to there. Once inside you should see a text file called AccWidget.txt. My guess is that you have a permissions problem on your computer, preventing Accordance from writing to that folder, or that it isn't getting cleared out. Because of the nature of the text going to and from Accordance, this swap file is necessary and must be able to be written and read. Normally the tmp folder is always working and easy to write to and from. However, there may be something strange going on on your computer. The first step is to repair your disk permissions. Go to /Applications/Utilities/ and open up Disk Utility.app . Once there, select your hard drive on the right and click the 'Repair Disk Permissions' button. See if that helps.

Try opening your tmp folder. Its an invisible folder, but if you go to the finder and do Shift-Command-G (go to folder) and enter '/tmp' (no quotes) it should take you to there. Once inside you should see a text file called AccWidget.txt. My guess is that you have a permissions problem on your computer, preventing Accordance from writing to that folder, or that it isn't getting cleared out. Because of the nature of the text going to and from Accordance, this swap file is necessary and must be able to be written and read. Normally the tmp folder is always working and easy to write to and from. However, there may be something strange going on on your computer. The first step is to repair your disk permissions. Go to /Applications/Utilities/ and open up Disk Utility.app . Once there, select your hard drive on the right and click the 'Repair Disk Permissions' button. See if that helps.

Hi Joe', I tried that and I can't see a text file called AccWidget.txt I may not be doing it right, but it does open up a window with other things, just not that one.

Walter

Hi Joe', I tried that and I can't see a text file called AccWidget.txt I may not be doing it right, but it does open up a window with other things, just not that one.

Walter

Did you try repairing the disk permissions? Also, what hard drive is your Accordance application located on? Is there a possibility of some other nonstandard aspect to your setup, such as networked users or multiple system drives or something else?

Did you try repairing the disk permissions? Also, what hard drive is your Accordance application located on? Is there a possibility of some other nonstandard aspect to your setup, such as networked users or multiple system drives or something else?

Hi Joel, I figured out that when I start the computer up the widget will not work but if I go to finder and double click on the widget it reloads it. It will then work. Do you have any ideas as to what could be causing it to cease working when the computer is shut down and restarted. I did the repairing disk permissions. Thanks for your time in this, you're a blessing!

Walter

Hi Walter,

I was having the same problem a few weeks ago. Try this...

Open up the widget and click on the little "i" in the lower right hand corner. When mine turned around, none of the check boxes were checked. I checked "automatic searching", chose the version I wanted, and then clicked "Update". Then click "Done" and it will flip back around. After I did this mine worked again and continued to work after restarts. Hope it helps.

John

Hi Walter,

I was having the same problem a few weeks ago. Try this...

Open up the widget and click on the little "i" in the lower right hand corner. When mine turned around, none of the check boxes were checked. I checked "automatic searching", chose the version I wanted, and then clicked "Update". Then click "Done" and it will flip back around. After I did this mine worked again and continued to work after restarts. Hope it helps.

John

Thank you for the input John, but I've done that. When I check the boxes they work for as long as the computer is on. But on restart it reverts back to not working. It has to be something else, but for the life of me don't know what. I'm not technically inclined either, so what others can figure out I can't. Anyway, thank you for your response.

Walter

This probably won't work either, but anything's worth a try. If you haven't already, try choosing another text when it flips around, updating it, then re-choose the one you really want as the default and update again. Sometimes you have to undo and then reset a particular preference on various programs for the changes to "take". I'm sure that isn't the case here, but it's worth a try.

Good luck finding the answer.

John

I just worked with Walter via iChat Screen Sharing, and we seem to have solved the problem. There were two things going on. First, there ended up being many instances of the Accordance widget that he was using. Though the widget will work fine if you keep multiple instances open, he had around 10 of them, which may have been causing problems.

The second issue, which I believe was the one true to the problem, was that somehow his preferences file had become corrupted. This file is located inside ~/Library/Preferences/ (which is your user folder, then Library folder, then Preferences) and is called widget-com.oaktree.widget.Accordance.plist . Deleting this file and letting the widget create a new one seemed to fix the problems. We also then removed any current instances of the widget in the dashboard and started with a new one.

John, can you try this to see if it fixes your problem?

Archived